Why so glum? (Chapter 4)

Hey everyone! I got 5 votes!! I'm so happy! Hehe. I've decided that I'm not going to do a chapter in Chases POV or at least not until a lot later in the book. I feel it would ruin the story if we knew his reasoning for everything and besides, I'm having way too much fun writing Ember \(^-^)/

_________________________________________

Chapter 4 (Why so glum?)

Only a double period of sport and I will have successfully avoided Chase the whole day, giving me the weekend to think over what I am supposed to do. I'd seen him try to corner me a few times, but with the help of my brother and the swarms of students, he has yet to be successful.

Changing into my short gym shorts and a plain black tank-top, I head towards my fellow students standing outside the gym.

"Attention everyone! I'm sorry to inform that the gym has been flooded from a broken main water pipe. Instead we will be running laps!" Mr Dale, our PE teacher announces with a smile. Countless groans immediately follow his announcement as it has been an unusually hot day.

Not really caring either way, since I've always been naturally and unnaturally athletic, thank you special supernatural abilities!

As I walk, I faintly smell the intoxicating scent of pine and sandalwood, flooding my senses with longing. I can see Tasha in the form of a sparrow flying above, staring behind me. Looking over my shoulder, I notice chase heading this way through the crowd of annoyed students. Shit! I forgot we had this class together.

Not being able to help myself I stare at him looking up from under my lashes. I notice the way his white shirt hugs his muscles. The way his sandy brown hair lies messily over his eyes. I can't help but think how attractive my mate is. Too bad we would never workout.

Suddenly, I notice he has been staring at me the entire time as well. His eyes roaming over my body unashamedly, assessing me as if I was a chunk of meat. Embarrassed, I look around and see everyone has already arrived at the track and is starting their stretches while we just stood there, staring at each other.

Not wanting to be the first to back down, I raise one eyebrow at him in a challenge to see who will break away first. Glaring back at me, I see the same challenge in his eyes.

"Farrell! Chase! Get over here and give me 50 push-ups!" Yells Mr Dale, obviously annoyed at our wasting time.

I can never understand Mr. Dale. He always calls me by my last name as if he was a sergeant in the army and pushes me harder than everybody else.

Dropping to the ground, I complete my push ups as fast as possible and start my laps in an attempt to get away from Chase. My plan works and I have soon overtaken everyone else in the class, including Chase although he is not far behind me.

I hadn't realised until now, but Tasha was sitting on my shoulder as a small golden snake. Luckily, since I was running so fast, no one could see her and if they do she will only look like an indistinguishable blur.

"You know you should talk to Chase and sort this out," Tasha reasoned.

"Yeah? How about no. He made his choice, I know you saw it plain as day in his eyes as well."

"Maybe he's changed his mind, maybe that's why he's trying to talk to us!" She states excitedly.

Rolling my eyes, I reminded her about how I scared the shit out of him and he probably just wants to scare us off so we leave the state.

"Our mate would never do that!" She snaps defensively.

"He is the soon to be alpha of one of the strongest packs in the world," I shot back. "We need to be careful and if we spend anymore time around him I could lose my temper and he could figure out what we are."