Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Daddy where we going?" Elliot asked as I helped him get ready to go to the support group meeting.

"We're going to a meeting, champ." I told him, trying to sound as optimistic as possible. I didn't want my hesitation and nervousness to have an effect on him.

"What's this meeting about?" He asked.

"You're just full of questions this evening aren't you?" I asked with a smirk. He nodded his head with a knowing grin.

"It's a meeting for families like ours."

"What you mean? Other kids with no mommies?" He asked.

"Well in a way...it's more like a group of families where one parent is in the military."

"Oh. What kinda stuff we gonna do there?"

"I don't know. We got to go and find out." I said with a smirk.

"Well hurry daddy! Let's go. You making us late." He said, pulling me towards the door. This little guy.

Fifteen minutes later Elliot and I walked up to the Carson Community Center side by side. Luckily there was a sign indicating directions specifically for the support group. We silently walked down the hall until we arrived at the appointed room.

"Are you ready, El?" I asked him as he curiously stood on his tiptoes to see through the window on the door.

"Mhm." He said with a nod of his head. I was happy to see that he was actually excited about something for once.

Walking into the room was kind of intimidating. It was filled with a fair amount of people from different races and age groups. Elliot immediately hid behind my leg when all eyes turned to us.

We inched into the room until we were greeted by a short dark skinned woman.

"Welcome. You must be Weston. I'm Robyn, we spoke on the phone." She introduced herself warmly.

"It's nice to meet you, Robyn." I said in return.

"And this handsome young man must be Elliot."she said, squatting down to Elliot's height. "Hi Elliot. My name is Robyn."

"Hello Ms. Robyn." He said, instantly breaking out of his shyness.

I wasn't surprised. Elliot was a sucker for maternal attention. If a woman was giving him attention, he gladly took it.

"Your daddy told one of my friends that you're sad a lot because your mommy isn't around. Is that true?" She asked him, softly.

He slowly nodded his head in response.

"Would you like to meet some other young ones who feel the same way you do?" She inquired.

"It's other kids whose mommy's are away?" He asked curiously.

"Mhmm. Even some whose daddy's are away" she assured him.

"Daddy can I go meet them?"

"Sure you can, son." I nodded with a slight smile.

I waited to the side as Robyn and Elliot walked hand in hand to a group of children. They weren't all the same age either. They were both younger and older than Elliot. I saw Robyn whispering things to my son. All I could do is wonder what she was saying to him. It was weird because before Robyn could open her mouth to introduce them, the group tackled him with affection. I watched as all the young people introduced themselves to El with fists pumps, high fives and handshakes. My son was soaking it all up. If his smile was to get any wider I would fear that his face would break.