Chapter 20

A/N: Long time no see! Hope everyone is enjoying life and isn't completely upset with me for not posting in nearly 2 months! I apologize, and hope you enjoy this Christmas Eve/ Christmas update. Love you all and Happy Holidays!

Liam's POV

Do you ever have this feeling of total peace and happiness? Like everything is absolutely perfect and life has never been better? Well that's how I'm feeling right now.

And it's freaking me the fuck out.

Back in our training days, we were taught that the calm always came before the storm. You never want your enemies to go absolutely silent on you. It essentially means they're up to something.

Yeah, it may seem paranoid, but it's true. There are only a couple of reasons anyone ever goes dark. The first reason is because they plan to catch us off guard. The second is that they've decided to lay low and go into hiding.

Anything that causes a rival group to go dead silent puts our whole city on edge. Especially since most of our rivals are bold, unorganized, reckless, and full of bravado. Anything that gets those idiots to back down can't be good for us.

Everyone's a little... jumpy. Niall has stopped hanging out at clubs, bars, and pubs after work; instead going straight home. Harry heads to the University's campus library after his classes and takes the tunnels home to our apartment complex from there. Louis doesn't leave his apartment to do anything; instead uses his computers and secure phone and Internet connections to handle business. I've been driving around town after work, taking random detours until I'm completely sure I'm not being followed, before heading to Mac's place. Even Zayn is being more careful; which to be honest, I didn't think that was even possible. I swear, one minute he's standing next to you, and the next he's completely disappeared.

Louis has also doubled up security around the building, with Josh and Dan working at the front desk from 6:00 p.m to 6:00 a.m., and Sandy and Jon taking the 6:00 a.m to 6:00 p.m shift. He's visibly bothered by something, but he still won't say anything. And I've been going out of my mind trying to figure out what could possibly be taking up so much of his time and attention.

"For the love of-- LIAM." Zayn says irritatedly, sounding like he's gritting his teeth.

"What?" I ask , lifting my head out of the hood of the 1965 Chevy Impala I've been working on for the past 3 days.

"I've been calling your name over and over. Fucking pay attention." Zayn grumbles.

"Well you've got my attention now. What do you want?"

"Well, while you were off in la la land over there, my least favorite ex-lover of yours popped in looking for you. Michael wasn't sure if you wanted to talk to her, so he's been stalling her at the counter, waiting for a signal as to whether to let her in here, or to let her know you're extremely busy and to come back later." he says, before muttering under his breath, "or never."

I look out into the next room, and see Mikey doing a good job at distracting some girl. When she tilts her head at him, I realize it's Trina.

I can only think of two reasons why Trina would be here. The first reason is to question me about my relationship status. I know she met Mac about a week ago at the club, and she has got to be curious over the fact that the guy who couldn't be 'tied down' is suddenly in a committed relationship. The other reason, is to ask about her uncle Dean.

I catch Michael's eye and give him a slight nod. I pick up my wrench, and a moment later, I hear the click - clack of stiletto heels.

"Payno." Trina nods to me before looking over to Zayn and giving him a once- over. "Trash."