Chapter 22

Chapter Song: One Thing by Finger Eleven

Liam's POV

"Wow."

"I know." I reply.

"I can't believe you did that."

"Me neither."

"You really broke up with her like that?"

"Yes. I mean, she wanted an explanation. And yeah, sure, I could have told her the truth. I wanted to tell her the truth, but that would put her and Lori in more danger than I've probably already put them in. So I made something up about some other girl."

"That was smart of you, but you know I'm still going to have to beat your ass for hurting my best friend."

"I know, Minzy."

"In a different universe, I know you are meant to be Mac's 'happily ever after'. It just sucks that you can't be so in this universe." Minzy replies.

"Mmm." I mutter, only partially paying attention. Until she speaks again.

"I wish you two hadn't met."

"What?" I say, looking up at her. She looks at me and rolls her eyes. The two of us are sat on the couch in my living room, a movie playing on mute in front of us. I honestly can't say I wasn't surprised to see Minzy when she showed up here an hour ago. It's only been three hours since I broke up with Mac, and while I knew I'd have to face the wrath of her best friend eventually, I definitely didn't expect it to be so soon, and to have her show up with a sympathetic, sad smile on her face.

"I wish I hadn't pushed her into going on a date with you. I knew how dangerous your life is. And I knew she had a daughter. That beautiful little girl." she shakes her head. "I should have known it wouldn't work out in the end, and I should have tried to keep the two of you away from each other."

"Minzy-" I start, but she continues on as if I hadn't said anything.

"But no. I just had to be all like, 'sure Mac! Go for it! It'll be the best sex you'll ever have!' What kind of best friend am I?" she puts her face in her hands.

We're silent for a moment, and then something dawns on me.

"So wait. Does that mean you never expected us to start dating?" I ask. Minzy looks up at me and raises an eyebrow.

"Payno, before Mac, you didn't date. Of course I didn't expect you to ask her out." she pauses, and then says, "And when you did, I was so excited over the fact you wanted to date, that I completely disregarded the fact that you could potentially be putting my best friend in danger. And her daughter, Liam. Again, what kind of best friend am I?"

"Minzy, this is my fault, not yours. Don't beat yourself up over this."

"How can I not, Liam?" she shakes her head again. "I remember back when Mac was pregnant with her. I took off time at work and flew out to the west coast to be with her for twelve weeks- the last two months of her pregnancy and the month after her due date. Well, Lori had other plans. Mac went into labor while I was on the plane. It was a mad dash to the hospital when I got off the plane and checked my voicemail. Poor Mac was in labor for another nine hours after I got there. Little Lorelei was born one month, three weeks, and five days early. And she was so tiny. Three pounds, six ounces. Tiny fingers, tiny toes, tiny arms and legs. Put in a little incubator for six weeks. Mac and Ryan hardly left the hospital. Me neither, of course, but it was hard for me. I would see this little girl, growing stronger and stronger each day, but she was still so tiny. She both fascinated me and scared me. After the first few weeks, I finally had the courage to hold her. It was only for about five minutes, but it was amazing. I looked at that little girl with her big, bright brown eyes and knew that she was Mac's greatest achievement. I told Mac that, and she laughed and agreed. And then she asked me to be Lori's godmother."