Chapter Six: Taking Flight

It was a couple hours after I had learned my new Morphing trick, how to Morph with just a thought, and I was sitting on my bed, reading a book. I had finished the book, though, because I was already really close to the end. I was about to get up to walk around the house to find something else to do, when I got the feeling. My stomach felt uneasy and my bones ached and I knew what was coming... I was both excited and nervous for my new Morph form.

After a minute or so, I popped into a red-tailed hawk.

I was surprised because I hadn't expected a flying animal, my other forms so far have been wild dogs. Then, I mentally cheered and decided to see how it feels to fly for the first time.

I spread out my wings and I soared... For a few seconds, then I crashed onto the floor. I quickly got up on my feet-or, talons, rather- and flapped to take flight, and I was flying around my room.

It was actually really scary- I kept getting the feeling I was going to crash, but the hawk instincts in me helped me to avoid crashing.

I Morphed back into a human, opened my door, then I Morphed back into a hawk and flew downstairs. Mom was making dinner, and I surprised her by flying past her and landing on the counter. However, I wasn't prepared for landing, and I slipped off the counter. Thankfully, I managed to take flight before I hit the ground, and I landed properly on the chair before Morphing into myself and falling on my bottom.

"Aah!" I exclaimed, then I got up and brushed myself off, saying, "I'm okay, I'm okay."

"You discovered a new form?" Mom was excited. "When?"

"Just now, in my room," I told her. "That was my first-ever flight."

"Well, you actually did pretty well for your first flight," Mom said.

"Thanks, but you didn't see me crash in my room," I smiled. "That hurt,"

"Are you okay?" Mom asked. 

"I'm fine." I told her. "Just maybe lost a feather."

"Who lost a feather?" Rose asked, coming in just then, Dad behind her.

"Your sister discovered a new form." Mom told Rose.

"Really?" Dad asked.

"Awesome!" Rose exclaimed. "What is it?"

"Red-tailed hawk." I told her. "My first bird of prey. Well, my first bird in general. I had my first ever flight just a few minutes ago."

"I wanna see!" Rose begged.

"Okay, but I'm warning you, I'm still learning to fly." I warned them. "Ok, here goes."

I Morphed into a hawk. My hawk instincts didn't like being on the hard floor, so I took off and hoped that I wouldn't crash. I flapped when I dipped too low, and I glided down when I got too high. I avoided the walls, and I was actually doing pretty well when I crashed into the ceiling fan.

Rose caught me as I fell, which I was grateful for. It hurt, but I would get over it. I hopped onto the couch and Morphed back into a human.

"Wow, Carrie, you have a bruise on your arm from the crash. Look," Rose pointed to a big bruise on my arm.

"Well, it's just a bruise. It'll heal." I shrugged. "It's not a big deal."

"That was pretty cool, Care." Dad told me. "Now tomorrow you can Morph mid-flight."

Dad winked as he said the last two words and I smiled.

I was pretty excited about my new form, I mean, who wouldn't be excited about flying?