Secrets of the Night {You Wish Batman} PART 5

Start from the beginning

I felt my air supply starting to run out and I started freaking out. I forced myself to stay calm. They wouldn't let me die, but I had to prove to them that I could be the top of my class. I studied the top of the water above me. I figured that the flames couldn't be solid on top of the water. Then I saw the glorious spot of blue that I was looking for. I swam straight for it, hoping that I could reach it before my body gave out on me. My shoes seemed to grow heavier and heavier as I got closer. Finally I broke through the surface of the water. I took a deep breath of air then looked around me.

There was something oddly majestic about the way the fire was moving on the surface of the water. I took one more deep breath then went back under the surface. I couldn't stay in one place too long for fear of the fire moving to the spot I was in. I continued moving forward slowly but surely, stopping at every air hole that I could find.

I was swimming forward when suddenly the orange glow above me disappeared. I swam up to the surface and looked back. The fire was simply gone. If the burn wasn't stinging on my hand, I would have thought I had imagined the whole thing. I turned around to try and go forward, but I was facing a wall. I dove underwater and searched for a cave or something to keep going forward. On the right side of the enclosure I found an entrance to a cave. I swam back up to the surface, took a deep breath, and dove down into the cave. I immediately noticed the water change into salt water. It burned to have my eyes open so I opened them as little as possible. I followed the cave around to the left and then saw that there was air in this cave just above me. I thought that it had to be too good to be true, but I could clearly see the surface of the water. I pushed off of the bottom of the cave and took a deep breath once I broke the surface. One problem...

I didn't break the surface. Instead I was still in water; it was just once again fresh water. I immediately felt the burn in my lungs which were now deprived of the precious air that I thought I was so close to. I turned around and swam towards where I knew there would be air. I swam towards where I had come from, black dots appearing in my vision. I got out of the cave and had to simply swim straight up. My shoes had never felt heavier in my life.

Just before I was about to black out I broke the surface. I tried to catch my breath, but I barely could since I had to tread water. As soon as my body calmed down from my near death experience I went back under the surface. I swam back into the cave and up into the fresh water. I could now keep my eyes open and I still had a good supply of air left.

I swam forward for another minute, and then I started to feel that all too familiar burning in my lungs. Panic was starting to grow inside me, but i pushed it away. It would only end up hurting me. When I saw the light at the end of the tunnel, I started swimming towards it for my life. I knew in the back of my mind that I wouldn't die, but I really felt as though I was fighting for my life.

This time when I broke the surface I said, "Thank you God for air." I saw the shore just in front of me and swam for it. As soon as my feet could touch the bottom I ran for dry land. I ended up crawling onto the grass and lying down as soon as I was away from the water. I would be so happy if I never had to swim again for the rest of my life. I was laying in the grass looking up at the stars and letting my body rest when a sudden shadow covered me.

I rolled to my side just as a boot landed where my face was only a second ago. I immediately jumped onto my feet in a crouched position. All I could see of the figure in front of me was that it was a large man. This scene was all too familiar. My dad had attacked me countless times when I was asleep. For this reason I was the lightest sleeper ever.

I slowly backed away from the imposing figure before me. I knew that I had to get past him in order to keep going. I could try and trick him then run away, but something told me that he would have no problem catching up to me. He started moving towards me and I realized I had no choice but to try and confront him. He made a move and lunged at me but I quickly dodged it. If there was one thing I knew how to do, it was how to read what way someone was going to attack me.

I turned around to face him again but he was already coming back at me. I was barely fall out of the way from him. This time his boot came down again. I tried to roll away, but he caught my wrist and stepped down hard. It hurt like a bitch but I knew I had to keep going. I got onto my feet but he grabbed me from behind. He had one arm around the top of my chest and one arm around my stomach.

I suddenly thought of the movie Miss Congeniality. I could only hope that I could make this guy... sing. Ok think... solar plexus, instep, nose, and groin. I can do this.

I shoved my elbow back towards his stomach, and hopefully hitting his solar plexus. He grunted and bent forward so I bet I had hit it. He still had a firm hold on me though. I stepped down hard on his foot hitting his instep. His grip loosened up a little more but a still couldn't get away. I took my other elbow and shoved it back into his nose. He almost completely let go, and I was almost free. I could feel the blood dripping from his nose. I made a fist with my right hand and swung it back into his groin. He immediately let go of me and bent over in pain. I immediately turned around and faced him. He was standing right in front of the water and was starting to stand up to come after me again.

I kicked him in the face and watched him fall backwards into the water. As soon as he hit the water I turned around and ran. I should have enough of a lead to get away from him. Thank you god for the geniuses who made the movie Miss Congeniality. I kept running forward, and I never heard his footsteps behind me. I kept running but had to stop when I hit a wall of bushes. I ran straight into them and felt the branches cut me.

I ran with my hand along the blushes, hoping that I would find some gap in them. I could feel my hand getting cut but I didn't care. I just wanted to be done with this stupid test. Mr. tall and terrifying should have given me a little bit more than just a good luck.

I finally found the break in the hedge. I started sprinting down the path, but my foot caught in a root. I went down hard and fell face first into the dirt. I could feel it cut my face, but I got up and kept running anyway. My wet shoes were rubbing against my feet and I could feel the blisters forming. I had to keep moving though. I followed the path until I came out into an open area. I immediately stepped to the side and put my back against the hedge. I highly doubted that I was suddenly at the end of this test.

Lightning flashed in the sky and I saw another dark figure standing in the middle of square. It didn't seem like he could see me, so I decided to attempt to slowly sneak by him. It started to rain, but I was thankful for that. It would cover up the sound of my footsteps. On the flip side it meant someone could easily sneak up on me.

I made it around the square to the other side. I saw the darkness that meant the next path. Lightning flashed again and I actually saw the path. I started moving towards it at a quicker pace. I reached the path and turned to start running down it.

"You didn't think you were getting away that easy did you?" I turned around to face the man talking to me. The voice sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place it. Lightning flashed again and I was suddenly frozen in place. The lightning had illuminated the man with the terrifying steel grey eyes. Now those grey eyes shined with a gleam that matched the two knives he was holding, one in each hand.

I couldn't make a single movement as he slowly walked towards me. He attacked me and I manage to block one of his hands. However, his other hand with the knife sliced my left arm. I didn't think it was too deep but I could feel the warm blood flowing down my arm. He took a step back and right then the lightning flashed. He had a wicked grin on his face along with a glint in his eyes. The glint in his that matched the one that appeared in the eyes of the one thing I feared the most.

My heart was racing and I couldn't catch my breath. Next thing I knew, I was engulfed in blackness, and I couldn't force myself to wake up from it.

**vote, comment! I really do want to know what you think, good or bad!