Chapter One - The Man on the Stage

September, 1992

I woke to loud sounds of New York. I glanced at my clock. 10.00am. Fuck this. As I tried to go back to sleep I heard soothing music from outside my window, I ignored it and tried to drift to sleep but this music sounded so...beautiful. Since I was having trouble going to sleep I decided I would find out where this music was coming from. I put on some clothes, nothing too fancy, and headed towards the music.

As I followed the music I realised that the sound was coming from the coffee place just underneath my apartment, Sin-E. I went into the little coffee store and ordered a coffee. As I was waiting for my coffee I saw a young man on stage, he had short hair, but not too short. He was wearing a white shirt and black pants. Even though his outfit was very plain he seemed different and interesting. While I was admiring him he started to play a song.

"I used to know a little square
So long ago, when I was small
All summer long it had a fair
Wonderful fair with swings and all
I used to love my little fair
And at the close of everyday" he sang, gloriously.

I adored this man, he was amazing, after hearing only a few seconds of his music I can assure you that he will go far. I continued to listen to his song and as soon as he finished I clapped loudly, getting a few strange looks from others around me but the man on the stage gave me such a bright smile. It lighted up the whole room, I couldn't help but smile back.

"Thank you all for coming today. It's been a pleasure, I hope to see you all very soon" He said, still smiling.

He then went off stage and ordered a coffee. I really wanted to tell him how great I thought he was. But I didn't. And he got his coffee and walked back to the stage, where he sat and drank his coffee. And I regretted not telling him.

"Amélie?" called out the barrister.

"Uh, yes that's me" I smiled and grabbed the coffee.

I stood awkwardly by the barrister bench then asked "Do you know who that was on stage?"

"Yeah, his names Jeff Buckley" The barrister told me.

"Oh, thanks" I said "Do you know when his next show is?"

"Tomorrow at 7" replied the barrister.

"AM or PM?" I asked.

"PM!" said the barrister, angrily.

I paused and then asked "Is he related by Tim Buckley by any chance?"

"I don't know, lady. I'm a bit busy right now. Why don't you ask him yourself?" said the barrister.

"I'm sorry. Thanks anyway" I said.

I decided not to talk to him. I knew when his next performance was, so I could try to talk to him then.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Song:Jeff Buckley - Je N'en Connais Pas La Fin

Originally done by Edith Piaf.