Chapter 1

Sean

"Bye, Dad, see you later," I called as I hopped out the car.
He looked over at me, "Tackle hard. Am I picking you up from Will's later?"
I nodded. "Of course. Go hard or go home," and shut the car door.
Sunday morning training. 8:30 sharp. I slung my bag over my shoulder and strolled across the car park, when a car pulled up beside me. Out jumped the team's starting tight - head, Eben. He'd only lived in South Africa until he was 8, but still wasn't used to the rain.
"Sean!" He called, "Fancy seeing you here! How's everyone's favourite flyhalf today then?"
"Eben mate," I rolled my eyes. "You're the one who's only here 3/4 times."
"But still the team's best prop," he spread his arms out, grinning.
Tosser.
Shaking my head, I headed towards the pitch where five or six of the team were already chucking a ball about. I dumped my stuff on the sideline and put on my boots. The early morning sun gently warmed my back, cutting through the mist that clung to the pitch. Lacing up my boots, I jogged over to the rest of the team.
I was greeted by calls of "Yo Sean," "Morning mate" and "Hey buddy," (the latter from Will)
"Morning lads," I grinned, "Bright and early as usual." I looked round the gathering huddle of boys. Will, Jonny, Eben, Ned, Isaac... Everyone but Adam. Of course. Their star winger. Always late. Always deadly fast.
"Has anybody seen Adam?" I sighed. He'd have to turn up earlier if he wanted to stay in our starting XV.
"Yeah... " Will chuckled, "I went to pick him up half an hour ago and I think he was still in bed. His mum was going to make him get the bus."
A small laugh went round the squad. Typical Adam.
"Why does he do this?" I muttered to Will, "does he know he'll be dropped?!"
"Oh he knows. He'll start turning up on time only when he gets his warning."
"What a -" I started.
"ALRIGHT ALRIGHT." A harsh intimidating cry rang out across the pitch. Coach Matawalu, Fijian legend. "Today, boys, we'll be working on your attacking." His face was set in a permanent scowl despite his reasonably good nature. "Is everybody here? Sean?"
"Uh," I stuttered, "Everybody but um Adam."
"Our star winger. Of course." He chuckled, a deep belly chuckle. "2 laps boys."
"Yes coach."
----
It wasn't until five minutes later when Adam finally appeared. We were stretching, towards the post, Adam sprinted towards us, his hair not even done. He looked mortified, to put it mildly.
"Ah, Adam. You decided to join us." Coach Matawalu raised an eyebrow.
"Coach I'm so sorry I overslept and then the bus was late and -"
"Training begins at 8:30. I'll see you next week at that time, sharp."
Adam, still flustered, went to change into his boots.
"Now that we've cleared that up, can Sean and Joshua set up the drill I showed you last week."
----
"That's all for today then, don't forget we have a match on Friday. I've sent the team list out, so check that please." Coach Matawalu said, dismissing us with what could be called a smile. I began to walk towards the sideline to grab my stuff.
"Sean, Adam, come over here," Coach Matawalu, ever frowning, called.
"Yes coach?" Adam stiffened.
"Adam."
"Yes?"
"You can't keep being late." His expression was neutral but he couldn't keep the agitation out of his voice. "Especially if you want to keep starting at 14."
Adam looked him in the eye, it would be bold gesture if he didn't look like he might cry. "I promise I won't be late next week... What... Where will you put me on Friday?"
"This week, you can stay in the starting line up." He clenched his jaw, "but if you're late again..."
"Yes coach. Thank you."
"Good," he cracked a grin. "See you on Friday." Adam left, breathing a heavy sigh of relief.
"What did you want to speak to me about, Coach?"
"Well Sean," he started, his neutral expression returning.
Bollucks.
"The captaincy for our game next week. How do you feel about that."
Oh?
"Well... Kieran's a good captain. He knows what he's doing, I guess. And he's not a bad leader."
He sighed. "No, I meant do you want it?"
"What? Me, are you sure?" I yelped.
"Yes, you work hard in training, you have the respect of the whole team, and your play is fantastic." His face displayed no signs of deception.
"...really?" I asked.
"Yes, you." His dark eyes studied me carefully, "do you want it?"
"Well... Uh... yes please, coach." I looked up at him, eyes wide. "That'd be great."
"Good." He leaned back, and folded his thick tattooed arms over his chest. "See you Friday."
"Thank you."
I couldn't help but crack a grin as I strolled over to where a few of the guys were waiting for me.
"You look happy." Jonny raised his eyebrows knowingly.
"Haha yeah."
"Well... Tell us why then." Ned looked confused, but what was new.
"Ha um..." I started, a smile forcing its way onto my face. "I got the captaincy for a game in two weeks."
"BRO." Eben yelled. In my ear.
"Knew it." Jonny smirked.
"Yes bUDDY." Will slapped me on the back. "Knew you looked happier than Adam."
Adam had, upon hearing the news booted a ball excitedly across the pitch - and earned himself a shout from Matawalu in the clubhouse.
"Fancy a cheeky nandos to celebrate?" I grinned.
"Extra cheeky." Adam winked.