Chapter Fifteen

HERMIONE POV

Angrily I wipe my eyes. I can't cry. I have to save him. My hands clench into fists as I elbow through the crowd and then, when I am free of it, break into a flat out sprint. I briefly notice Draco's slightly hurt expression, but I pay him no mind. There'll be time later to explain that I was saving his sorry arse.

"Minister!" I shout, thumping around the corner. He's just leaving McGonagall's office, and he turns in surprise. "Miss Granger?"

"I...have to ask...something," I pant, and he patiently waits for me to get my breath back. Then, I launch into the argument I'd been preparing just in case something went wrong. "If Ron were alive, what punishment would he have received?"

The Minister thinks for a moment. "Well, Mr. Weasley was guilty of the murder of Miss Parkinson. In addition, he made threats toward Mr. Malfoy and attempted to kill you. Most likely life in Azkaban."

"But Draco was saving me. And he rid the world of.... a murderer. Why give him the same sentence as a cold-blooded killer?"

He sighs impatiently. "Because, Miss Granger, Draco Lucius Malfoy happens to also be a cold blooded killer."

"You know what else was cold?" I ask bitterly. "Ron's hands around my neck. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think, I didn't have my wand, Draco had been knocked aside, there wasn't time to think. In the Muggle world, it's called justifiable homicide. When you've got a gun, and you don't have time to react, you just fire it. In self defense or defense of someone else."

"We are not Muggles." The Minister replies. "We have the ability to Stun our enemies!"

"There was no time to react. I was being choked to death!"

"Nevertheless. I'm sorry, Miss Granger, good day."

He turns and walks away from me while I glare daggers at his back.

My next target is Harry. I explain the situation, tell him everything about Ron, and even though in the end he has no choice but to believe me, I can tell he's still mad at Draco.

"Listen." I say. "You're the Chosen One, they'll listen to you. Draco can't go to Azkaban. He doesn't deserve that. You have to try."

"No, Hermione." Harry replies with a swift head shake. "Ron was still our friend. And he may not have been a saint but neither will I work to acquit his killer."

"It wasn't murder, damnit!" I shout to the empty dorm. "He saved my bloody life! What would you have done?"

"Not that." Harry raises his eyebrows. "Because I know what the death curse is like. I would have Stunned him. C'mon, Hermione, just drop it, he's Malfoy."

I'm shaking with anger when I stand from the couch. "No. Draco's my friend. And he will not go to Azkaban." I say fiercely.

"You can't stop it now."

"Watch me!"

When I'm at the portrait hole, I turn. "I would have died. I would have died, rather than betray my friends. What would Sirius say to you now, Harry?" It's a low blow, but I don't care anymore. I leave before he can retaliate and make my way down to where they're watching Draco. He's confined to a classroom where a makeshift bed has been made, and he's guarded. In the morning he'll be gone.

He sees me and knows immediately that I was unsuccessful. "You tried."

"I'm not giving up."

"You have to, Hermione."

I let myself in, ignoring the guards. "I won't!" I snap. "It's not fair."

"Just give it up," he says dully.