Chapter 1

"I'm going to school now. See you later." I said as I walked out of the house.

"See you later. And have a great day at school, hunny." My foster parents said waving at me.
I walked to school in silence since I was alone. School wasn't far away so it only took me about 15 minutes to get there.

When I arrived the bell rung and I went into my class. I sat down next to the window in the backrows. I had no friends so I talked to no one 'til the teacher came.

Our first lesson was english, so I opened my textbook to the page where we stopped last lesson.

The teacher spoke but I didn't bother looking up. Then another voice was heard which I haven't heard befor. The voice had a weird accent and I looked up to see who spoke.

It was a boy who looked about my age with violet-reddisch hair and red eyes. He was smiling and sticking his chest out befor he spoke in that accent of his'.

"I am Rin Matsuoka. My name sound like girl, but I am boy. Nice to meet you. Please!" He then giggled nervous and scratched the back of his head and the teacher spoke "So Rin you can sit down there next to Mikasa. She is the one with the black hair next to the window."

He nodded and went over to the empty seat next to me.

I was easy to spot because our other classmates had blond, brown or orange as a hair colour and I was the only one with pure black hair.

"Hello!" Rin said to me witha smile and I nodded shyly in responde.

I turned my attention back to the lesson. We read something when the teacher called my name signaling me to read the next line. I stood up and read.

"He gave her her a kiss on the cheek to show his admiration towards her. She only turned her head to the side in emberassment and ran away not knowing how to handle this situation."

"Very good Mikasa. You are getting better. Thank you." The teacher said and I nodded as a thank you and sat down.

Lessons went by fast and now it was our 1 hour break so I got out my lunch. I ate in silence quietly observing my suroundings. I looked to the front board and saw the new kid explaining something about his old school.

"My school has big sakura tree!" He drew I suppose a tree at the board trying to explain what a sakura tree was.

Sakura huh?

I went out with my lunch to the campus of the school and sat on a bench.

This is better than in the classroom.

I continued eating when I saw someone sitting down a few meters next to me on the bench. I glanced at the person from the corner of my eyes and saw him again. Rin.

He got out his lunch, took a bite out of it and sighed.

I finished and packed my things.
I sat stil next to him and saw he had a slight depressed and sad look on his face.

I decided to tap his shoulder getting his attention.

"Um, excuse me."

"Y-yes?" He asked a bit nervous.

"C-could it be that you are from Japan?" I asked curious yet shy.

He nodded his head energeticly and spoke,"Yes, I am from Japan!"

"I thought so."

"How do you know?"

"Well, you look and have a japanese accent. What was the reason that you came here to Australia?"

He looked confused and said"Yes!"

I softly smiled because I had this same problem a few years ago.

I inhaled and spoke"Why are you here?" I asked in japanese and his eyes wide.

"You can speak japanese?!" He asked suprized in japanese.

"Hai."

"Whoa! Why haven't you told me befor?"

"You didn't ask..."

"Well now I can speak to someone. So from the start again." He stood up and held his hand out for me.

"I am Rin Matsuoka. My name sounds like a girl but I am a boy. Nice to meet you, eh..?"

"Hamazaki. I'm Mikasa Hamazaki. Nice to meet you too... Rin-kun."

He blushed at the honorific and smiled. We talked through the whole break about how he and I ended up here in Australia and I told him that my parents didn't have the money to afford my living in Japan so they wanted me to be in a foster family until they re-built their buissnes and had the money to bring me back.

We had both the same hobbies and that was swimming.

"What styles do you swim?"

"Free. I only swim free."

"Eh?! You sound like my friend Haruka. Why?"

"I don't know. But I usually don't swim anymore. I only swam til two years ago. I then stopped."

"Why?"

"I don't know." I said trying to avoid the topic.

"So tell me more about your old friends."

"Huh? Okay so there are..." And he went on on telling me everything about them and then the bell rung. We went to class and the day went on in a rather fast pace.

I went through the gate of school when someone shouted my name.

"Mikasa!"

"Lori? Russel? What are you two doing here?"

"We went to pick someone up. Wanna come with? I will take you home." Your neighbours Lori and Russel said with a smile on their face.

"Only if I am not a burden."

"You never are. Hop in." I nodded and opened the door just to reveal a certain newbie.

"Oh, hey Mikasa!" Rin said smiling as he saw you climbing into the car.

"Oh, hey Rin."

"Oh so you two already know each other? Mikasa, Rin will be staying with us for some years so it's good to know that you help him out a bit. Thank you hunny."

"It's no problem at all Lori. I know how he feels right now. New to a country. With only a bit of knowleg about the language."

Then nodded proudly at me and drove.

They dropped me at my house and waved goodbye.

I went in and was greeted by my foster parents. I sat down on the dining table.

"Hello sweety. How was school?" Carla asked putting a pancake onto my plate. I spoke as I poured syrup onto it,"Actually pretty good. I think I have made my first friend..."

She quickly turned around and dropped the spatular to the side. Then my 'father' Daniel came into the room almost slipping on the wooden floor.

"Tell us everything!! What's your friends name?" They asked exited.

"Rin Matsuoka."

"Oh what a pretty name! I bet she is a pretty girl."

"Actually 'she' is a boy. He is from Japan like me and he lives with Lori and Russel. He is in my class and my age only a few months older.

"Oh sorry about that. Really, he live with them? That is awesome. You can visit him everyday. And if he is japanes you two can talk in japanese so you could help him out in any case."

I nodded and ate my pancake.

My first friend huh?