Second Chances pt. 6

Start from the beginning

Luke shook his head violently again, "I didn't, I never stopped. I'm so sorry I made you feel like that. I'm so sorry," he breathed, coming forward a little, his words repeating itself. You saw the tears in his eyes and you saw the pain on his face, but it only made you angrier – how dare he be sad when it was you who was completely lost and ruined. "I hated you, too. You stopped caring and you left, and I was left completely alone to raise a child and to pick myself up at the same time," you hissed. "I trusted you and I loved you and instead of working through the shit you turned around and betrayed me. You cheated, Luke. You CHEATED! You can't expect to fix that with a single 'sorry'!" you could feel your voice rising, but you tried to keep yourself from fully shouting at him, although to him it seemed like he deserved you to.

You couldn't see that, but every single word that left your mouth cut deep in Luke's chest. He felt like he couldn't breathe, like his lungs were repeatedly stabbed until oxygen was flowing in and out of them freely, out of Luke's control. His mouth opened and closed a few times before he actually made his throat work and spoke up, "I know, I know," he breathed, stepping closer to you as if in need of your support to stay up on his feet. "But I'll do everything in my power to make up for what I've done," he said quietly, taking your hands in his in attempts to make you listen. "I know what I did was unforgivable and I deserve to be hated, but being married to you was the best thing that ever happened to me and I'm sorry it took me losing you to realise that, but I will do everything to make you see how sorry I am. Even if it takes me a lifetime, all that'll matter is earning your forgiveness." He said looking into your eyes that were still pooling with tears. He felt his own sight get blurry as he lifted a hand to your cheek to brush the tears away.

"But you cheated," you whispered, your voice weak and shaky, combining with short and shallow breaths you took, while supressing soft sobs. "You betrayed me," you said quietly again, but your whole body relaxed in the presence of his frame close to you, his warm touch calming your heartbeat.

"I'm so sorry," he breathed just as quietly, his hands wrapping around your shaking shoulders, as you finally let the sobs escape your mouth, crying silently into his chest. He gripped you tighter, when he felt your whole body shake with pain and sorrow, your hair soaking up his own tears.

You stayed like this for a few minutes, Luke breathing softly into your hair and you leaving tear stains on his shirt. You pulled away a little and looked up to Luke's face, seeing his bloodshot eyes bore into yours, as he lifted a hand and brushed the hair out of your face, drying the tears on your cheeks. "I promise, I will never make a mistake of letting you go again," he whispered, drifting his eyes along your face softly, his gaze settling onto yours.

The moment felt so intimate and so familiar, you didn't even feel yourself standing on your tiptoes and place your lips onto Luke's. You only realised what you did, when you felt a pleasant feeling of butterflies erupt in your stomach at Luke's soft touch on your cheek. You pulled away slightly, ready to apologise for your boldness, but Luke had different thoughts, as he leaned forward and before any words could leave your open mouth, Luke's lips blocked the way and the exciting feeling in your stomach came back. His lips were wet and salty, but his tongue tasted sweet and familiar and you couldn't get enough of it.

You felt your hand rise up to his neck, as your whole body leaned in, craving for more contact. And much to your satisfaction, Luke's arm wrapped around your waist, holding you tight, his own craving for you evident through his roaming fingers all over your body, while the hand on your waist grew tighter with each breath you took. It wasn't long before you found yourself on the couch that was meant to be your bed for that night, Luke's body on top of you, and your lips not leaving each other's for a single second.

And only when a needy gasp left Luke's mouth, did you push him away a little, realising what you were about to do. He was confused for a second at the sudden lack of your hot lips on his, but it took him a single look at your eyes to understand what was happening. The bitten lip and short, soft breaths escaping your mouth explained it all clearly to Luke and he didn't force his lips onto yours again, his body warmth disappearing from above you, as he lay next to you. "I'm sorry," he whispered for a millionth time that night sitting up to leave, but you knew he wasn't apologising for his actions 5 years ago. So you quickly grabbed his arm before he could slide off of the couch, tugging him towards you, as he lay back next to you. "Stay with me," you whispered and the last thing you remember was Luke's hot body pressing tight against yours, his arm hugging you close before the both of you drifted off to sleep.

As promised, in the morning Luke took you and Theo out for a day of fun at the carnival that was in town. And it felt cheesy and cliché, but you still enjoyed every second of it, watching the both of them throw balls at targets in attempts of winning you a teddy bear, and Luke teaching Theo how to use a nerf gun, and all three of you riding on a Ferris wheel. You and Luke acted like you were a couple on their first date, shooting adoring glances at each other, stealing soft touches and sharing flirty smiles. He made you laugh and you made a warm, fuzzy feeling appear in his stomach every time you did. He felt happy until he suddenly noticed your smile fall, as your eyes stared into the distance, his own gaze following your only to see Dan with a young girl on his arm, whispering in her ear, his hand gripping her bottom, as she rolled her head back with a loud laugh.

You only whispered a soft "Excuse me," before making your way towards them, Luke taking Theo on a ride as if trying to protect him from seeing the awful scene, even though Luke himself was really curious to watch. They found you sitting on a bench half an hour later, your sad eyes fixed on a stick with a fluffy cotton candy around it in your hand, fingers mindlessly gripping bits of it off and placing them on your tongue.

"Hey," Luke tried softly, sitting down next to you, but Theo was much too young to notice the sudden sadness surrounding you, as he happily yelled out "Mom!" and grabbed a handful of your treat. You let your lips curl into a soft smile at your boy, but your lips remaining silent for another minute.

"Do you want to leave?" Luke asked gently. He wanted to stay and make you feel better by making a total fool of himself all around the carnival, not caring about anyone else. But the soft nod you gave him in response only made his heart break a little, sadness filling up his own chest.

He drove you both back home, coming inside, since he had to help you carry your luggage, as your own hands were occupied with a sleepy little boy. You put Theo to bed coming back to the hallway to thank Luke, but he apparently had some things to say to you before he left.

"He doesn't deserve you anyway," Luke said out of nowhere, stepping towards you. "He's an asshole who cheated and you shouldn't even have been with him this long in the first place. You should have dumped him the moment you thought he was cheating and not wait and have your heart broken like this. He's a douchebag and he doesn't deserve a single second of your sadness. He's a dick and I could punch him till he bled for hurting you like this," Luke's rant made you angry, especially at how hypocritical he was being.

"Then punch yourself, 'cause you've hurt me worse," you said blankly, making Luke's breathing hitch in his throat, his heart stop in his chest. Luke struggled with finding a response in his racing mind, but you simply sighed softly, "Please, leave. I need to be alone right now." You said, unlocking the front door for him as a sign, as he walked towards you.

"Babe, I'm sorry, I didn't mean -" Luke started, but you interrupted. "Leave, Luke," you said, opening the door and walking into the kitchen, leaving him to let himself out.