Chapter 7. Busted

"Ow ow ow ow!" Auggie and Riley yelled in unison as Maya and  I dragged their ears across the living room.

"Riles, what were you thinking?" Maya queried as she let go of Riley's ear.

"First, Ow-" she said as she began rubbing her ear that had just turned as red as a tomato. "Secondly, It was Auggie's idea!" Pointing at her little Brother whose ear was enclasped around my fingers.

"Ooh. So it's Auggie's idea ha?" I asked bending over slightly, meeting gazes with the guilty 8 year old that stood beneath me.

His mouth gaped in awe as he stared at Riley, "Wow! Wait to sell a Brother out, Riles!"

"I couldn't, I just got new piercings yesterday and it still hurts like crazy."

"Your lucky I didn't pinch directly on the piercings!" Maya retorted, as she plopped herself down onto the couch, propping her feet up with the table infront of it.

"Yes, and I'm thankful for that Maya." Riley shot Maya a cheeky smile, but in response, Maya rolled her eyes.

"Hold on, hold on. Why'd you guys even follow?" I queried, flailing my arms out.

"Yeah. Are you trying to ruin our da-hangout?" Maya stuttered out, her eyes widening in the process.

She almost said date. Does that mean she still likes me?

Oh my gosh. This is killing me.

"Date?" I blabbered to her raising a brow.

Oh no.

I watched as Maya's face began to turn bright pink as her mouth began flap speechlessly.

"I-I-I said hangout, then!" She spat out, her voice laced with panic.

I began to clench my first, trying my best to keep conscious. I could already feel my legs giving in each time she glanced at me.

What's going on?

"Then?" I queried, faking my confidence.

Stand tall, Josh. Calm down. Calm down.

"Yeah Maya, I thought you said that you didn't like Josh anymore?" Riley cut in, her face plastered with a cheeky smile.

"Yeah Maya, I thought he was so 2 years ago?" Auggie added in, joining his sister's side.

"Ah-urm-urm..." Maya stuttered, blinking rapidly as she turned to look at each one of us.

"I DON'T KNOW!" She screamed as she took of into Riley's room, slamming the door shut, behind her.

I blinked in confusion,"what..."

Did I make her cry?

Guilt washed over me as I turned towards my nieces.

"R-Riley shouldn't you-" I suggested until she cut me off.

"No. I think-" She glanced towards Auggie, "you should handle this."