-1-

When I was seventeen I met a girl who changed my life. Until her I was just keeping low, hoping to stay out of everyone's radar. I just wanted to be left alone, in peace and quiet. I didn't want to be bothered, or chased, or threatened in any way. I didn't particularly had a reason to live, but I didn't want to become one of them.

Ghosts... real and my personal curse. For as long as I can remember I have been able to see them and that had brought endless problems. I just wanted to stop that. I didn't want to see ghosts or people. I just wanted to be on my own.

I ran from them, and from people. If I stayed away from everyone I would be safe. That was what I thought.

I chose a random small town, hoping it would be easier to have a normal and peaceful life. But the moment I arrived, this girl showed up and wouldn't leave me alone. She wouldn't shut up. She wouldn't get I didn't want her around. She was persistent, loud, bubbly and so lively. Without me noticing it, she filled a void that had been eating me alive from within. She filled the silence that was choking me with her endless talk and beautiful laughter.

She was a contradiction, because it seemed she hated everyone... yet she was always paying attention to what they were doing, keeping me up to date to rumours I didn't care about.

She was a weirdo.

She was a ghost.

She was exactly what I was running from, and although I made her leave me alone... I found myself missing her, her voice, her laughter, her eyes. I felt lonely for the first time in my life when she wasn't around, so I had to change all what I thought I knew about ghosts and help her, just to keep her around a bit more.

But I did more than that. I fell for her, the broken and scattered girl who took her own life in her hands fifteen years before we met. I fell so hard for her to the point I couldn't even picture my life without her. I wanted her alive, I wanted to be like her. Anything. I just wanted to be with her, forever. And because I loved her so much I wanted to help her even more, I wanted her happy. I wanted to take all that pain she carried with her and heal her wounds. I wanted her to be free from her own hatred, even if that would take her away from me.

At some point we planned our life together and I actually saw it. The rest of my life with her, even if it was in the most unconventional way. It was the two of us. But I couldn't keep her with me, it wasn't her place. She had paid the price for her mistake and I had to let her go if I wanted to have her again someday.

She is gone now, although we have promised to meet again, and I know we will. That, however, doesn't keep me from missing her like crazy. Every day. Every hour. Every minute. Every second. I expect to see her every time I turn around, smiling at me, telling one of her silly remarks that would always make me laugh. But she isn't coming to me, if only one day I'll go to her, when it's time.

Today I'm eighteen, I've finished college and I have accepted in a good university. Today I'm leaving Street, where I met her and where my whole life changed. I take few thing with me, two being the most important, and both are what I have left of her.

I take our cat: Clyde. And what's left of her in this world: her ashes.

"I guess it's time to say goodbye," I mutter with the cat in my arms. He's so big already.

We once lived in this flat, we shared our time together and were so happy. And it's time to leave this place behind because I made her a promise and I'm planning to keep it.

"I'll live my life to the fullest, Paige. For the two of us, you'll see."

I smile as I turn around with my few belongings to leave the flat I lived during my time in Street. I take the memories with me because it's time to start a new stage in my life, and even if she isn't with me anymore, I still carry her with me. She never leaves my mind or my heart. And I know, I just know that's how it'll always be. It's the only way it can be.

⋙⋘ 

As you can see, this is from James' POV and it will cover that time between chapter 40 in Unseen and the epilogue. Yes, you'll get all the answers for those questions you've been making. Even why James can see ghosts. This is a mini-sequel, it won't have more than ten short chapters. Same with the mini-prequel (CRUSHED). Expect weekly updates!

Remember best comment gets dedication! Also, spread the love (I mean the word about the story)

Bel, xx
twitter: @BelWatson 

~updates every Monday~