Cannonball

The next day dawned hot and bright. Kirk wriggled out of his sleeping bag. He could already hear the other humans complaining about the heat. Kirk had wanted to travel with a Vulcan group but Sarek had dissuaded him, suggesting that as a human Kirk was too fragile to travel with Vulcans. Kirk could hear Sarek's irritating voice in his head. 'Captain, you are much too fragile to travel with Vulcans, you would only slow them down.'

Kirk frowned. "Fragile my ass," he thought as he hoisted his gear over his shoulder. The Vulcan guide surveyed the humans as they struggled to break camp. He and Kirk were the only ones not scurrying around. The Vulcan's eyes met Kirk's with an unspoken challenge. Kirk was ready to engage the Vulcan in a stare down. Then the Vulcan blinked, his eyes resumed their bored expression, leaving Kirk to wonder whether he had imagined their challenge. Kirk kept close to the Vulcan for the rest of the day. The chattering of his human companions started to eat away at Kirk's already frayed nerves.

As the afternoon wore on the chattering of the group segued into complaining about the heat and then silence as each individual strived to keep persevering under Vulcan's merciless sun. Kirk slowed his pace when he heard a curse, followed by a small thud. He turned around and made his way to one of his fallen companions. Kirk held out his hand. "Here, take my hand, Dr. Brothers isn't it?"

The woman took Kirk's hand with a wary reluctance. "Yes, I'm Doctor Brothers."

Kirk smiled his most charming smile. "I'm..."

Doctor Brothers removed her hand from Kirk's grasp. "We can skip the introductions, Captain. I know who you are."

Kirk grinned. "So, my reputation precedes me?"

Doctor Brothers excused herself as she made her way around Kirk, but not before she said, "Yes, Captain it does."

Kirk opened his mouth to say something and then shut it. He was too late. A blast of Vulcan's dirt flew into his eyes and mouth. Kirk sputtered then took a drink from his water canteen, noting with alarm how little there was left. The day wore on. Just as Kirk thought he was going to collapse from the heat, their Vulcan guide stopped and motioned for them to follow him through a small enclave. Kirk sighed. He wasn't looking forward to squeezing into a small space with his fellow unwashed travelers. However, he forged ahead determined to be keep up with the Vulcan.

"Do you need to catch your breath?" The Vulcan asked with an irritating calm.

"Jesus, he's not even sweating," Kirk thought as he said, "No."

The Vulcan raised an eyebrow and then continued on. After a few more paces Kirk was ready to give up and ask for a rest for his fellow travelers when he heard a sound. "Is that water?" Kirk thought, hoping it wasn't the sound of some giant flesh eating creature indigenous to Vulcan coming to eat them. When he rounded the corner, Kirk almost fell to the ground. For nestled in a grove of what resembled Palm trees from earth was an honest to goodness waterfall.

"Is it safe to go in and drink?" Kirk asked as he threw down his pack.

The Vulcan nodded. The others had caught up with Kirk and the Vulcan and upon hearing that the water was safe, began to throw down their packs. The others crowed with delight as they stripped down to their undergarments and jumped in. Kirk swore. Why had he been so damn cocky about wearing Vulcan attire for the journey? Kirk waved at the others as he recalled his shopping trip with Sarek. Sarek had noted if Kirk wanted authenticity his recommendation would be for Kirk to purchase one of the long majestic Vulcan robes. Kirk looked around the shop. He and Sarek were the only customers in the shop.

Kirk examined the robe in his hands and after several inspections he whispered to Sarek. "Umm...Ambassador, what about undergarments?"

Sarek's expression was blank. "Undergarments, Captain?"

Kirk could feel his face flush. "You know, undergarments, boxers etc."

Sarek nodded in understanding. "You wear undergarments? Amanda gave those up years ago stating that the freedom provided by not..."

Kirk interrupted. "No, I'm just asking for the fun of it. I only wear undergarments on special occasions."

Sarek nodded. "Yes, it is the same on Vulcan."

The splashing of his fellow travelers brought Kirk back to the present. He stood on the edge of a small hill looking down at the cool water. He massaged his jaw and then grinned. Kirk shielded his eyes for a moment then pointed. "Hey, what's that?"

Everyone expect the Vulcan turned to look where Kirk had pointed. Kirk raised an eyebrow looked at the guide. Then he threw off the robe and cannon balled into the cool water.