Chapter sixteen

Marscha walked down the hall, her shoes making a loud click with each step.
Her jaw was set and she finally made her way to Dracula's wing of the castle.
Two armoured guards stood in front of the door their spears formed an x.

"State your business."

Lifting her head she spoke. " I am here to speak with Lord Vladious Dracule. It pertains pertinent information on Lady Alandra Valare."

The guards slowly moved their spears back and the formal atmosphere quickly faded. One if the guards spoke quietly.
"Has she fallen ill?"

Marscha nodded. "Very,"
"I send her my regards," he ushered her to the door "Quickly now."
The woman pulled open the door and began running down the long corridor.
Her knuckles rapped on the oak door. She bit her lip and pleaded for Vlad to hurry and answer the door.
The door swung open.

Dracula stood in the opening a scowl heavy on his features.
"Yes?"
"It's Alandra she's ill."

His face remained emotionless.
"I shall fetch a doctor in the morning." He began to turn as if to go back into his room.

Marscha felt slightly offended.
"Well, are you not going to pay her a visit?"

A sneer crossed his face.
"She has made quite clear I am unwanted. Why I subject myself to such tortures?"

She clenched her teeth.
"You made her stay her. You can at least have the common courtesy to Pretend that you care about her wellbeing."

Vlad looked as if he had been struck.
"Pretend? I have done enough pretending in my life time. I've pretended that her words don't cut deep. I've pretended that being a monster isn't in my nature."

He did a dramatic bow. "So forgive me, If I do not feel like pretending anymore."

Infuriated Marscha began to shout.
"IF YOU COULDN'T PRETEND ANYMORE THAN WHY IS SHE STILL HERE?!"

Vlad stepped out into the hall slamming the oak door behind him.
His face was conflicted with a burning anger and grief.
"Because I didn't want to see her go."

"So you locked up a woman you didn't know just because you wanted to preserve her?! She's not Natailia!"
Marscha knew she had cut him deep.

His face became cold once more.
"Leave. Now."

Marscha began to regret her words when she heard the crack in his voice. But it was too late those words had flown freely and that was her consequence.
Marscha vanished down the hall leaving Vlad behind.

___

Louis held the rag to her for head as he murmured softly to the sick human.
"Oh little princess. You better start feeling well soon."

Alandra hummed in agreement. Marscha entered the room looking distraught.
"Louis go and get some rest. You've managed to open your wounds again."

He shrugged.
"Fine. I shall, don't be too stressed mother hen."
He kissed the top of Alandra and Marscha's head before slowly making his way back to his chambers.