An Unfortunate Meeting

"(YOUR NAME)", shouted Kili loudly, and you spun around to see a giant spider right behind you, its fangs dangerously close to your shoulder.

You grasped your sword tightly, and with all your strength, drove it as hard as you could into the beast's belly. It was impaled to the hilt, and thick, black sticky blood coated your tunic and hands. The creature writhed and screeched, its piercing wail filling the night air, then fell silent and slumped to the ground at your feet, dead. You removed your sword, and spun around again, looking for your next attack.

"Nice one!" shouted Fili, looking at you as he thrust his small dagger into one of a spider's many eyes.

"Thanks," you grunted in response, before leaping onto a nearby rock and hurling one of your throwing knives at an arachnid that was on its way to eat Thorin alive.

The blade buried itself deep into the creature's back, and with a blood-curdling screech, it slumped to the ground, joining its many dead relatives. Thorin's eyes strayed to the dagger in its back, then looked intently at you.

A small nod of recognition.

You weren't expecting flowers, but even a 'thank you' would have been nice from the dwarfish king. Oh well, you knew he wasn't the most gracious of people, and you, being as you were, not a dwarf, were not on his favourites list. He had barely agreed to let you come with him on this quest, but eventually, Gandalf's assurance that your skill with knives were unparalleled convinced him. You grabbed another knife from your belt and turned around again, ready for the next one, but you were to late. The creature fell, a smooth, intricate arrow sticking from its forehead.

An arrow? You looked at Kili, the only archer in the group, but he returned your gaze with a confused one of his own.

"Not mine!" he shouted, then swore loudly as an arrow whisked past his ear and impaled itself into another spider.

"Lower your weapons!" shouted a smooth, authoritative voice, and from the darkness of the forest, countless tall, slim figures emerged from the trees, cloaked in silver and green.

The spiders roared, and closed in on their attackers, but they were swiftly killed by swift, sharp bows, and the ones that remained quickly fled back into their dark, shadowy nests. Before you had a chance to question what was going on, you felt a small, sharp dagger digging into your throat. You froze.

"Drop your weapon," a smooth voice muttered into your ear, digging the knife deeper, drawing specks of blood from your exposed neck. Fearing for your life, you took a deep breath, and quickly jabbed the man behind you in the stomach with your elbow, then gave him a swift backfist into his groin, earning a pained grunt, and your freedom. You belted forwards, leaving him behind you bent double, and grabbed your sword from your belt.

"One more move and you die," came a female voice, and you slowly turned to see a she-elf with long red hair pointing her bow strait at your chest. Elves. Goddamit.

You were trapped.

You sighed, and let your knife fall to floor, hearing the dull thud of metal on grass. The weapons of your dwarf companions quickly joined it, as they made the executive decision not to die. The elf that you had attacked strode toward you, almost catlike. His long blonde hair was twisted into an extravagant style, with tiny plaits running from his forehead to the back of his scalp. A longbow was clutched tightly in one of his hands, and a mean-looking sword in the other. He didn't look like the kind of guy you wanted to piss off.

"My name is Legolas, son of Thranduil, prince of Mirkwood." he stated, looking down at you from his position of power.

Prince?