Chapter 2

Chapter 2:
The week seemed to blur by in a whirlwind; school was still kicking off and managed to be just as boring on Friday as it was Monday morning. Throughout the course of the week I somehow managed to not get completely murdered by the gang of girls that seemed to wait for Caprice and I as we walked to the school  everyday, I survived two tests, one of which I never even studied for, and was finally in the middle of starting my first project for the school writing club.

I sat in my English class paying rapt attention as Ms. Crenshaw went on and on about the Transcendentalist movement and how that writing shaped and influenced many writers to this day. Caprice sat beside me and was more preoccupied with the text messages that flooded her phone, sighing slightly to myself, I carefully slid my own phone from my pocket and sent her a quick message.

'Shouldn't you be paying more attention? This stuff is kind of important.'

Her eyes flickered over to my in annoyance as she let out a small chuckle and shrugged before waving her thumb swiftly over the keys in response,

'Oh yes, listening about people writing about nature and all that junk is soo important -snore-'

'well then, who are you talking to that's so important?'

'This hella fine female I met just before the break. She invited me to check out this fine club up in Atlanta this weekend, wanna come?'

'Are you crazy? I'm not going to some lesbian club with you.'

Caprice rolled her eyes and shook her head before looking up again, careful to make sure she still looked like she was paying some type of attention. Resting my phone down on my thigh, I followed her lead, I didn't feel like getting my phone taken during the first week of school, that was just stupid. A few more minute passed of Caprice and I paying limited attention before looking back down at our phones to continue our conversation.

'It's not a lesbian club Alicia, it's a regular club. I just didn't want to go alone.'

'You know my mom isn't gonna let me go, besides someone's gotta watch Dee tonight.'

Caprice rolled her eyes again and drummed her free hand against her desk in annoyance. Even though we were best friends, I often found myself on the receiving end of one of Caprice's annoyed glances. We loved each other dearly, we were practically sisters separated at birth and I know she always hated when I "chickened" out of doing something spontaneous with her. But it wasn't entirely my fault, she and I didn't have the same interests when it came to certain things and this was most definitely one of them.

She huffed before typing furiously on her phone, not caring about the fact that Ms. Crenshaw had noticed the lack of active participation from Caprice's side of the room and was now practically glaring daggers into the top of her head. I gulped and tucked my phone under my leg before picking up my pen and coping down the notes before she glanced over my way. Caprice didn't seem to notice that the entire class had fallen silent and all eyes were trained on her as she continued to type away, whether or not the message was for me was no longer a concern of mine.

I coughed slightly and tried to get her attention but to no avail, and before she even had a chance to blink  Ms. Crenshaw swooped down and plucked it from her fingertips, muttering a 'see me after class.' Before stalking to the front of the room an resuming the lesson. There was a giggle from some of the class as Caprice let out an audible groan and successfully planted her face against the surface of her desk, no longer caring about the lesson.
I smiled over her apologetically before turning my attention back to the lesson, not wanting to get fussed out too. The class ended rather quickly after that, with only minor interruptions caused by Caprice's constant groaning against her desk, and I found myself standing outside waiting while she got her ear chewed off over the use of her phone.