Introduction

Maladaptive [mah-lUH-dap-tiv] : N. not providing adequate or appropriate adjustment to the environment or situation.

"Tatum!" I heard him calling my name from deep within the woods, I knew these woods like the back of my hand I had run through them an uncountable number of times.

"Kel?" I shouted back, running in the direction his voice. The cool grass felt wonderful against my bare feet, as I pushed my way through the trees. The weather was always perfect here, never too hot never too cold.

"I'm right here!" a voice boomed just to my left. I turned, and made my way around a giant oak tree, that Kellin and I had sat underneath so many times. There he stood his dazzling green eyes staring straight at me, his smile crowded his face, making the dimples in his cheeks stand out. "I made you this," He held up a crown of intertwined daisies and pink wildflowers. he grinned at me, and rested it on my head of blonde curls.

"Ms. Declan!" I snapped back into reality. to see my teacher staring at me with a disgruntled look on her face. I looked around the room.

"Um, yes?" I stuttered. A few of kids around me snickered, and I felt my cheeks go red.

"Well do you know the answer?" Mrs. Kanary inquired, she seemed very annoyed, which means she must've been trying to get my attention for a while now.

"N..no I don't know." I managed.

"Well, didn't you study?" She stared straight into my eyes.

"Yeah, I studied." She still didn't break eye contact with me.

"Then you should know what kind of Images Bronte uses to describe St. John." I notice her giving me a small smile through her intense stare. She really did want me to get this question right.

"Well," I gather my thoughts. "In contrast to the fiery, flaming, images used to describe Rochester, Bronte uses icey, cold images to represent the lack of passion and joy that would come from a relationship with St. John."

She finally broke eye contact with me and a smile spread across her face. "Very good." She glanced up at the clock mounted above the classroom door. "Alright class I want you all to write me a two page summary of Jane Eyre, due Thursday." The bell began to ring "No double spacing!"