Chapter 2: Test Under the Big Tree

I followed the path that the old lady told me as well as using my sense of smell to track the scent of others before me...also that same person from earlier is still tailing me. I can tell that they are a guy around maybe mid 20s or so. I finally made it to a house under a big tree, and I caught the scent of some other creature...and not a normal animal from the woods surrounding me. The sun was just setting as I walked up to the porch, being a wolf helps a lot when needing to get somewhere.

I could smell multiple scents, from people before me and four that were the strongest meant that they were still here. They were all related, two guys and two girls...a family. Father, Son, Mother and Daughter. From the age of 4 I learned to tell if people where related, boy or a girl, and around how old all by scent; it was custom for everyone in my pack. I knocked on the door then listen to see if I could hear anything.

They whispered but lucky for me, as a wolf I could still hear them. "Get ready and get in position" was the words I heard before the smell of blood filled my nose. I counted to 10 then walked in. Once I opened the door and walked in I could see a guy laying on the floor bleeding, as well as a Kiriko holding a young girl. As I stared at the Kiriko I saw it smirk or should say him smirk then jump out the nearby window. I walked over to the guy and the ground.

"Please help my wife! Save her!" he said softly.

"Why? She's not your wife. The Kiriko wont hurt her becasue all three of you are all Kirikos. My question is where is your mom at?" I asked him kneeling down next to him.

"What?....How did you....?"

"Know?. I was raised to tell who is related to each other by their scents....I'm a wolf demon. Not werewolf as people think. Wolf Demons are completely different from werewolfs...Stupid werewolfs and humans give us a bad image." I said cutting him off and taking off my hat to revel my wolf ears.

The guy was silent and just stared at me but then started laughing.

"Why are you laughing?...It can't be because of blood loss! Your wounds are not deep enough for you to lose a lot of blood, just enough to scare people. What's wrong? What's funny?" I asked putting the back of my hand to his head.

"I'm sorry...It's just...Not many people are so calm...and figure out our trick that easily...also what you said about werewolfs was pretty funny. Sorry again." he said between breathes.

"I'll call my family back and let them know." He said getting up and walking over to the open window.

"Hey everyone it's ok! She figured us out from the start! You have to come back and meet her!" He yelled out.

Sure enough a few minutes two grown kirikos came in along with the girl from earlier. She was unharmed just like I thought, they all looked at me; analyzing me and my ears.

"She is a wolf demon and said that she could smell all of us were related and Kirikos! How amazing is that?! I had to call you back for you to meet her." The guy told them.

"Scent?" the daughter asked.

"Yes. Wolf demons are like when someone is a Neeko however people tend to thing that Neekos are only for cats, so we go by wolf demons to get past that confusion." I said letting my tail show instead of hiding it.

"I can tell that you are all family. This one here is the son, she's the daughter." I said pointing to the two still in human form then I walked up to the other two.

"You are mom and you are the father." I said pointing them out.

"Wow you can tell that just by our scent?" the mom asked.

"Yes. That's how I was raised...everyone was raised that way. So if a pup got lost you could know who to take the pup to. You didn't want to take the lost pup to the wrong family or if you were lost yourself you don't want to go to the wrong people and get into even more trouble."

"Impressive!...but if you don't mind me asking why do you keep saying was...is it not that way anymore?" the father asked.

"No...it's not that. I say was because that's how it was when my pack was still alive. My pack was destroyed by a murderous group of thieves...I promised to get revenge but that was then. Now I keeping a promise to my dad. I made a promise to him when I was 12 that I would become a hunter one day...just like he was before he was killed when I was 16...So I trained hard every year after then died and I believe I can pass this exam." I told them looking at the floor then back at them.

"Oh...I'm sorry about your family...but hey due to your outstanding sense of smell to tell us apart and know that we were family and knowing no real harm would come to my sister as well as knowing that my wounds were not that bad...You pass!" The son told me.

"Really?...Thank you so much...oh and I can quickly heal your wounds if you want." I said bowing to them.

"That's ok."

"I insist. It's the least I can do to show thanks for passing me...this exam means a lot to me....besides I'm a healer so it will only take a minute." I said looking at him.

"Ok...Thanks." he said walking over to me.

He held out his arms and I grabbed them softly and leaned my face closer to them.

"This may tickle a bit, but trust me it will heal your wounds in seconds." I said before I began to lick his wounds after I lick the wounds and wipe off the saliva the wounds closed up right away so it seemed like nothing had happened. This only works if the wounds are not that deep if it was deep or internal like a broken bone or something else the only way I could heal it fast would be through a kiss or just medicine and massaging with my nen...however that takes a lot longer. This was another thing that in my pack you had to learn to do from a very young age. Once I was done I looked up to see shocked faces.

"Wow that's amazing. You can't even tell that I was cut." The son told everyone and showed them.

"You seem like a great hunter already." The dad said.

"I'd still like to work hard for the hunters license though and make it official." I told him.

They all smiled at me then the girl walked over and told me that she will carry me to the location of the Hunter Exam. She turned into her Kiriko form and grabbed my arms before flying into the night sky...I could sense something was off...like something was attached to my leg...I didn't see anything so I brushed it off...and I could still tell someone was following us...how...and who...Guess I have to wait until we land at the location before I can find out.