Diner Girl Chapter 10

The next day I go downstairs to get started at work. About ten minuets later Jace comes to the door and I go to unlock it for him. 

He smiles and leans in for a kiss but I back away after a our lips touch, so it’s just a peck.

I laugh at his sad expression and my mom enters from the kitchen laughing too. Last night I told her about me and Jace and she seemed happy with it.

Mama throws Jace his apron and she hands him his new name tag.

He takes it and smiles and puts it on his apron.

The day was going good until a Maria and her friend, who I think’s name is Alexa.

They walk right over into my section. This Sucks! I don’t want to wait on them!

I sigh and walk over to their table after two minuets.

“Hi, can I take yalls order”? I say flatly.

Maria rolls her eyes and says “Alexa and I will both have water.” 

“Is that all”? I ask, again, flatly.

Maria replies, “NO. You could also leave Jace alone. Someone like him will never fall for someone like you.”

I smile and shake my head and turn to walk away, but Maria’s voice stops me.

“Yo! Diner Girl! I ain’t done yet”! she says with anger.

My eyes flare with anger. I turn to face her. By now the whole diner has become quiet with all eyes on us. 

I look towards my mom in the kitchen and she has her eyes narrowed.

My eyes flicker towards Jace and his mouth opens and he’s about to say something but I hold up a hand to stop him.

I look back towards Maria, who is now smiling. She wants the attention. 

“Well? Are you going to continue or are you going to make me wait all day”? I ask calmly.

Her eyes narrow and she says, “You have nothing! He will never fall for you. You‘re just a poor working girl after his money.”

I look shocked at what she says, but she takes my expression the wrong way and smiles.

I clear my throat, “Alright. Listen here you two-face slut. One, I don’t want nor do I need Jace‘s money. Two, incase you haven‘t noticed, Jace works here. Three, I know I will never fit into your lifestyle. And that includes Jace‘s. And four, who on Earth told you he was interested in me. Or do you just see every girl close to him as a threat”? I ask then look towards Alexa. “Have you ever liked Jace”? I ask her. “Oh wait. I‘m sure you have, right”? she nods her head slowly. I look back at Maria. “Did you tell your best friend anything about liking him”?

Maria just looks at me in shock.

I turn back to Alexa. “Has she ever treated you like a friend, or are just there when she needs something then she tosses you aside when she‘s done”?

She nods her head, and ican barely hear he answer, “She just uses me.”

I laugh with no humor and shake my head. I stare at Maria until she shrieks out in anger and annoyance. 

“Lets go Alexa.” she says while walking to the door. When she notices that Alexa didn’t follow she stops. “Come on Alexa. Now.” her voice is ice cold.

Alexa looks at me then back towards Maria. “No.”

Maria looks shocked, “What did you say”?