Chapter 28: Amanda

The view of the capital city from the Ice Queen's residence was lovely in the twilight. The buildings rose like new sprouts from the hard, glistening permafrost that blanketed the chilly planet far from its sun. Despite the constant cold, the city was beautiful, and I gazed, both proud and fearful out of the high palace window at the scene. It was like something out of a storybook, with fresh snowflakes falling so close to the balcony I felt like I could touch them. 

I whipped around when I felt cold breath on my shoulder. 

"Tara! You scared me!" I laughed, but to my horror, the one who stood behind me wasn't my best friend. 

"Now what is a child of the Warrior clan doing snooping about in the palace so late?" It was her. Of all the people in this city, all the people in this palace, it had to be her. "And you will address my daughter by her title." 

My blood boiled with hatred as I gave her the customary reply. "My apologies, I shall depart if you wish." 

"Oh, did you think you were to be let off so easy?" She laughed, savoring my bitterness. She knew I hated her. She knew everyone hated her. I wondered how she could possibly take pleasure in her nasty reputation. 

You are the daughter of the leader of the Warrior clan, Amanda. Someday, you will serve on my ruling Council as Warrior Chief," she smiled. 

She was beautiful when she smiled. Her red lips were outlined against her flawless, pale skin and her inky black hair, but I didn't admire her for it. I knew her beauty was fake. Stolen. Just like her power, her fame, and everything else she owned.

I grumbled, the power within me stirring violently with my anger. Knowing I was to serve the likes of her when I was older was bad enough without her constantly reminding me of it.  

"A good Warrior does what they are told, nothing more, nothing less. Is that not what you were taught?" She asked, continuing to smile, relishing my helplessness and anger. 

What a sick, sadistic tyrant. 

"Yes," I said, trying unsuccessfully to imitate her haughty, cold distance. 

"Did anyone in authority instruct you to enter the palace tonight?"

"No."

"Then why are you here?"

"I just...just wanted to see Ta- I mean Her Highness- ...and...enjoy the view from up here."

"Direct disobedience of clan rules," she shook her head. "You're better than this, Amanda. You're always so perfect, my perfect, powerful little future clan Chief," she ran her icy hands through my hair and I resisted the urge to wince. 

"But though you are my favorite young Warrior, with much promise for the future, disobedience is disobedience. It is better you learn your lesson now than suffer the torture I would have to inflict on you if you did this when you were older."

Before I knew it, I was lying on my stomach on the frigid floor, pain coursing through my body. I tried to cry out, but the cold burned so much my muscles wouldn't respond. It felt like pieces of ice were ripping through me rendering me senseless and useless. 

She's reminding me, I thought. Reminding me of how much more powerful she is than me. 

With superhuman effort, I rolled onto my back and channeled power into my hand, fueled solely by my rage. I reached up and scratched at her, forgetting my training completely. I didn't care about the consequences, in that moment, all I wanted to do was hurt her. I wanted to show her I wouldn't be defeated

She stepped back and clutched her face where three long cold-burns were carved across her cheek, more in shock than in pain. "Amanda Lynne Myers," she said my name slowly and menacingly, her booming voice echoing across the room. 

Mistake. Big, big mistake.

"Amanda?" She said again and I whipped around, fire in my eyes and power in my hands, ready to fight her. 

She shrieked and fell backwards, the folder in her hand falling to the ground. 

"Oh, Jade," I smiled, my heartbeat beginning to slow. "It's just you." 

"Is something wrong? Am I in trouble?" She asked, alarmed. 

"No, you just startled me for a second," I sighed, swiveling around in my large, black chair. I quickly sucked the glowing blue power in my right hand back in before Jade noticed it. I seriously needed to stop having these random flashbacks, especially the ones about her.  They got me way too close to being discovered; if someone more observant, like Megan for instance, had walked in, she would've seen my power. That wouldn't have been nice for me or my mission. 

"Okay, good," she let out a whoosh of air. "You scared the crap out of me." 

"I was just distracted, and you surprised me," I shrugged. "Now, what do you need?" 

"Oh, Lucy told me to bring in the results for Glitchketball tryouts for your approval."

"Why are you bringing them to me?" I smiled slyly. "The Speedies are the ones who are supposed to take care of Glitchketball stuff."

"I knew you would ask for them anyway. Nothing happens in WGO without your approval."

"Wonderful!" I placed my hands behind my head and reclined in my chair. "You don't know how much I appreciate having an assistant who can almost read my mind." Jade beamed at the rare compliment. 

And I can actually read yours, I thought. So can everyone else from my planet. 

"Okay, these results are looking good," I nodded, paging through the file Jade had brought me. Each Glitchketball player was listed with their Division, Glitch or reg status, name, and a photo. When I got to the Sloppie section, I slightly frowned when I saw Claire's entry though I was expecting it. 

"Is something wrong, Amanda?" 

"No. Just thinking of...the unpleasantness of our next mission."

"Oh. Well, what has to be done has to be done...right?"

She had no idea. 

And that was when I got a better look at the photo of Claire they used. They had taken it after tryouts, judging from the sweat that dripped from her face. Clearly, she didn't know they were taking a picture, because she was neither smiling nor looking at the camera. 

I started to notice details about her I hadn't ever seen before. The way her skin stretched across her high cheekbones and her glossy hair. When she was in front of me, she was always so scared she kept her head down and I never saw her eyes. Those big brown eyes that looked so happy and warm but hid other things under the surface. 

I knew those eyes all too well. 

Though her hair was lighter and her face wasn't quite as pale, the resemblance was unmistakable. Claire King looked almost exactly like her. 

A wild theory tickled the back of my mind, and though I knew it was impossible, I couldn't resist the thought. 

If she was who I thought she was, and that was a very big if, she could be the only one powerful enough to save my beloved homeland of Lessaenes from her clutches. The one she had everyone convinced was dead...