Chapter 27: Justin

I couldn't tell if Claire's friend, Kelly was slacking because she knew she was on the team for sure, or if she was legitimately terrible at Glitchketball. I sincerely hoped it was the latter, for my own division's sake. Not that those Sloppies could ever touch us, we were the undefeated champions for what, seven years in a row?

Was I developing a Codie ego? Well, if I was, Claire certainly wasn't happy about it. Well, big sis, welcome to my world. I had lived most of my life as "Claire King's brother." Now that WGO had as good as switched our places, she could get used to the title of "Justin King's sister."

I smiled at that thought as I let my whole body relax like Lucy had instructed us to. I immediately felt the tugging influence of Eva's power as she moved me around the court. I made it a point not to do anything to disrupt her, you didn't want to get on your Division Leader's bad side. Especially if your Division Leader was Amanda's pet vampire. 

So far, Kelly's half of her team moved like zombies, suddenly lurching forward then wobbling in place. Anyone could tell she was struggling to coordinate their steps, grabs, and jumps. Keaton pretty much carried the team, his four players had actually scored Team 1 the 4 points they had so far. Their movement still wasn't quite natural, but it was far better than the jerky steps of Kelly's regs.

Blake wasn't a bad Glitchketball player either, his players easily rivaled Keaton's, but Eva was something else. Since she was controlling me and my own brain was quite idle, I took an opportunity to stare at her. Though everyone else's clothing was blowing wildly in the strong breeze, her black cardigan and shining dark hair somehow remained perfectly still as she narrowed her small eyes in determined concentration.

All four of us, Eva's regs, moved like pros under her influence, even though I knew for a fact two of us had never even played basketball before. If I wasn't running around the court, dribbling and shooting like I was possessed, I would have looked back more often. Every Glitch in the vicinity watched the Code around Eva spin, and at that moment, I wished I could see it. I would have to ask Claire or Vince what Code looked like later.

Soon, the short, 10-minute game was over. That was when I realized that though I hadn't been controlling it, my body had been working like crazy. My back, chest, and face were drenched in sweat, and that was only after 10 minutes! I could only imagine what playing a full length game for Eva would be like.

"Well done, Group 1!" Lucy smiled, writing something on her clipboard. "Those of you who have already played may leave if you prefer." I nodded, but stayed. I wanted to watch my sister.

"Now we're ready for Group 2," Lucy announced when she was finished writing. She glanced uneasily at Amanda, who had returned to the court and sat confidently with her legs crossed in the bleachers. This time, Megan, Jade, and Calvin were with her. 

She whispered something and though Jade and Megan simply nodded, Calvin snickered and high-fived Amanda. Jade gave him a nasty look and said something to Calvin that looked like an insult, though I couldn't quite hear it from here. 

Amanda only gave Calvin an uncharacteristically sweet smile. Either Calvin was just as messed up as Amanda was or there was something between those two...in which case Calvin was still as if not more messed up than Amanda.

"Team 1: Claire, Vince, Hannah, Julia, Clayton, Brandon, Mimi, Lexie, Jordan, Wendy. Team 2: Ellie, Clarice, Lizzy, Cara, Jessie, Lana, Kylie, Mia, Christie, Grayson. Get on the court, Group 2!" Lucy called. 

I quickly looked all the Glitches over. I knew them all except Clarice, who I saw was a young-ish Cookie girl. I gave Claire a thumbs up and a smirk as she jogged onto the court and she rolled her eyes in response.

Lucy blew her whistle and the second round of tryouts began. The best Glitch in the game was clearly Vince, who was certainly also better than Keaton and Blake, though he didn't have Eva's level of cold, polished expertise. Ellie and Clarice were decent, for Cookies, but they were being beaten by Claire, who was surprisingly not half bad. Certainly far better than her friend Kelly.

When Lizzy, one of Ellie's players, was about to shoot, Claire wrenched control away and spun Lizzy around, forcing her to drop the ball. There was only one thing I could think as I watched her fiery eyes and determined movements. 

That girl is going to do something great here. Glitchketball is only the beginning. 

3rd Person POV

"We have to tell them!" Amanda told her friends fiercely. 

"At least wait until the Glitchketball season is over, we don't want thoughts of our next mission to disrupt our favorite sport!" Megan pleaded.

"Everyone is waiting," Amanda said icily. "We have successfully assembled all the Glitches in the world, which was our first mission. People will be wondering, what next? We can't just spend the rest of our lives in this little utopia we've created, that defeats the purpose of everything our parents have worked for."

"What do you mean? You erased our parents' memories, they don't even know about-"

"Our real parents, idiot!" Amanda hissed, and Calvin snickered.

"Shut up, dude, you don't know what she's talking about either!" Jade rolled her eyes at her brother.

"He's a bit less of an ignorant fool than you are," Amanda smiled.

"Ohhhhhhhhh, burn, Jade, BURN!" Calvin high-fived Amanda, and Amanda laughed inside. Jade and Calvin were the most useful assistants she could ever hope for. Just say something remotely nice about Calvin and he would think she had a crush on him, and then get the two of them fighting for their leader's approval. It was quite entertaining at times. No, always. 

"Anyway, Megan, I will honor your request," Amanda pulled down her expensive purple blouse and sat up straighter. "We will wait until the end of this Glitchketball season," she sighed. "The last few months of your happy, orderly, innocent lives."

And then I will show you the waking nightmare I live every day. I will do what she sent me here to do.

"Okay...wait, what?" Megan gasped.

"Let's just say our next mission isn't going to be too nice," Amanda smiled thinly, thinking of her.

I'm coming for you.