Chapter 5: Len

I have dedicated this chapter to SpaceExplorer for being one of my very first readers and for taking the time to leave a lot of comments on the initial chapters of this book. It's people like you who inspire me to continue expanding and polishing these chapters :)

 Also, the picture on this chapter is Len.

..........................

I casually walked down the smaller, upper set of stairs of the spacious King mansion to the second floor, pausing for a short moment to wipe away the sweat that was beginning to accumulate on my brow. A deep red rug lay spread out over the rich, dark wood floor and three sets of elegant sofas filled this, the second of the two living rooms. A flat screen TV was mounted on the light-colored wall and six light bulbs embedded inconspicuously into the ceiling illuminated the space to a more than adequate degree.

To think that the entire King family used to cram in a one-bedroom apartment.

I quickly snapped out of my thoughts, remembering that I had a job to do. Claire was to leave for Texas in less than two days, and even the smallest of delays in the household's daily activities could potentially cost her a high-paying customer. Hurrying down the second flight of stairs and skirting the kitchen area so as to avoid disturbing Mrs. King, I stepped outside to check the mail. I was entrusted with this job because, unlike Claire and her family, I was not readily recognizable by the average neighborhood guy. Chances were, unless I ran into a major Claire King geek, my presence out on the street wouldn't cause too much of a ruckus.

After walking down the block and opening the mailbox, I saw that the Kings' slot was filled with – well, ordinary mail. Coupon books, ads, letters from banks and Justin's school. It was all the usual stuff.

Claire's personal one, however, was a different story. It overflowed with enthusiastic letters from fans and requests from people to use her power to get them a job, or kids, or the winning lottery ticket. I scooped the mail out of both boxes and shoveled it into the bag I had brought with me.

When I was about to return to the mansion, I saw the tiniest glint of silver in the corner of my left eye. Swiveling back around, I noticed that one small envelope with a shining seal remained at the bottom of Claire's mailbox. Turning it over, I saw that it had no name and no address. The only symbols on it that could offer a clue as to its origins were the letters "WGO" and a strange purple insignia. The envelope was thick and made of high quality paper, and the seal was embossed into its surface, suggesting importance and urgency.

This was certainly no ordinary fan mail or coupon, and it raised several questions in my head. How did the person who sent it manage to post it without an address? What did WGO stand for? What business did they have with Claire?

Even though I knew I was supposed to deliver all mail directly to the family, I couldn't help but grow a little curious about the strange little letter. I then decided to take a peek. Just one itty-bitty teeny tiny look. After all, I had practically lived with Claire for ten years. I knew her better than she knew herself. I peeled down the corner of the envelope, intending to snag a peek at the contents of the letter's upper margin, but I had clearly overestimated my self control. Before I knew it, the letter was open and in my hands.

Dear Claire King,

My name is Amanda Myers, and I'm writing to you from WGO (World Glitch Organization). After years of careful research, my associates at WGO have determined that you possess the Power of Manipulation. This key characteristic makes you one of us, a Glitch. Since you're quite famous in the outside world, I assume you've already discovered your gift. I'm sure you have wondered at least once if there are others like you, others who can change the fates of those around them with the Code. Well, there are twenty-six of us (including you), and we are all here at WGO.

Before I get into further details, I would like to establish the fact that WGO is a top secret organization. We do not want the outside world to know of our powers, because, as you've probably discovered, they tend to be quite nosy when it comes to things like this. Since nobody is to know of our existence, it is of the utmost importance that you share the information contained in this letter with no one. And by that, I mean no one. As Glitches, we never know who we can truly trust. Two of my representatives will visit you at your home tomorrow evening to answer any questions you may have and discuss with you the next steps that must be taken in order for you to obtain a WGO membership.

Thank you,

Amanda Lynne Myers

President, World Glitch Organization

Confusion and surprise filled my head as I finished reading the letter. It seemed so urgent, so formal. And so real. Regardless, all logic said it was a scam. If there were twenty-five others like Claire in the world, why was she the only one who had gotten famous? And most importantly, how did they find each other and start an organization in the first place without anyone finding out, even the increasingly omnipresent media? The whole thing seemed very fishy.

I turned the corner, hastily placing the letter back into its original envelope before shoving it into one of the pockets of my coat. Walking back into the house, I headed straight for the small office that I shared with my partner, Michael. Seeing Claire's father, I gave him a polite wave, slowing my pace so that I would not appear suspiciously frantic. As soon as I was inside the office, I tossed the letter into the shredder and pushed down one of the buttons on its side. I felt a pang of guilt rise up in my chest as I watched it being sucked in, but I reminded myself that I had a legitimate reason for destroying the letter. If it was fake, it was fake. However, if it was real and they wanted Claire to go join their organization...Without Claire, I wouldn't have a job, so I wasn't taking any chances.