4. Bullshit Showdown

Brennan had never been that nervous before, not that kind of nervous, anyway. She couldn't remember the last time she had hosted friends in her home. Tonight, there would be Booth, Angela, Hodgins, Cam, Sweets, Daisy. Oh, and Cal, of course, since she was organizing this whole thing so that he could stop saying he wanted to meet them. He was peculiarly interested in getting to know Booth for some reason. He said she talked about him all the time, which was nonsense. She did not speak of Booth all the time. Though now, ever since Cal had told her she did, she started to refrain from saying his name too much. And she refrained a lot.

Things were going well with them. She felt this was a real, mature relationship. He worked all the time, she worked all the time, they saw each other maybe every other week. It was perfect. But, of course, Booth had something to say about that.

"You don't spend much time with him."

Even though part of her found his overprotective side quite charming at times, she was getting irritated. This was getting old and she had dropped the happy act some time ago already.

"I'm pretty independent. I don't need to be with the man I'm dating 24/7. I get bored easily. This is perfect."

"What about Sully? You spent all your free time with him."

"That was different. The sex was incredible," she said, waiting for him to shudder in puritan disgust.

Aw! Booth did not need more mental images. He was already staring at the skin of her lower back as she tip-toed to reach a book on the top shelf. He buried his hands in his pockets.

"So Lauser's lousy in bed?"

"I wouldn't know," she replied, putting the book down and pulling on the hem of her shirt.

A lot more at ease now, Booth pulled a chair and sat down on the other side of her desk.

"It's been 5 weeks, give or take, and still nothing?" Why was he talking about that? He didn't wanna talk about that!

She realized it was unusual for her to wait that long to consummate a relationship, but she didn't mind. Cal was attractive and everything, but she didn't want to force things.

He put his feet up on the desk, but she walked to him and pushed them off.

"You have a problem with that, too?" she checked.

"God! No!" he laughed. "It's totally your business."

"Thank you." Finally! "Here you go. The preliminary findings on Jane Doe 794. You need me to explain them to you?"

"I'm starting to get the hang of it, thanks."

He got up.

"I'm happy for you, you know," he told her.

"What for?"

"You seem to have a real... relationship. I'm happy for you."

Brennan frowned.

"It's not like it's my first one, Booth."

Why was she looking for a fight, again? He was just trying to be nice!

"I've even lived with a man before," she specified.

The need to say it was overwhelming... "So, you've had a roommate."

"You're one to talk! I don't see you dating anyone. In fact, you haven't dated in ages."

Ouch.

"That's because I don't go flaunting it in your face!"