Chapter 21

I'm so sorry this is, like, months overdue. I tried to make it extra long. I even put in some major Newtmiss. Please enjoy the chapter.

Alby stared at the wall, his face contorted into an expression of total anguish, his eyes forlorn and empty.

Thomas leaned against the far wall, looking at anything but the dark-skinned boy before him. He looked relieved when Artemis and Newt entered. "Thomas, what are you doing here?" Missie asked. Thomas shrugged. "He requested me but refused to talk unless Missie was here."

"Alby?" Newt said, softly.

"The t- I asked for Thomas and Missie."

"They're right here-"

"Leave Newt."

"No, I wanna hear."

"Newt leave. Now"

"Alby-"

"Out!"

Newt flinched. "Alright," he turned to the door, "just don't expect me to kiss your butt when you come saying' sorry."

"Shut the door!" Alby yelled. Newt slammed it.

Missie and Thomas were wide eyed as the watched the exchange.

"I know who you are." Alby said. Thomas and Missie exchanged a weary glance.

"I remember...I remember the flare."
The flare?

"Alby, we don't know what you're talking about. The flare?"

Alby shook his head. "It ain't a pretty picture. Don't know why they'd want us to remember that..." He shuddered.

"Alby. You said you knew who we were?"

He looked up at her. "You-"

Then Alby tensed. He wrapped his hands around his neck and began to squeeze, his legs kicking out wildly as if he were having a seizure. "Alby!" Thomas exclaimed, "Alby! Newt!"

Newt burst in, his eyes widened.

"He's strangling himself!" Artemis realized, rushing forward to help Newt. "Get his legs!" The boy ordered. Thomas and Missie each went to grab a leg, it wasn't very easy. Missie took a kick to her thigh and her stomach and Thomas took one to the jaw. Newt tried to pry Alby's fingers away. "You're bloody killing yourself! Alby!" The thick muscles in Newts arms were tensed and bulging, the veins popping.

Finally Alby quit struggling. His eyes glazed over and he relaxed.

"Sorry, Newt, it wasn't me. I swear." Alby mumbled.

"Sorries, nothing. You were killing yourself!"

"It wasn't me. I swear"

"What does that even- you know what? Get your rest" he picked a fallen blanked and draped it over Alby, "We'll talk later."

"Newt," Alby called, "Protect the maps."

Newt blinked then grabbed hold of Thomas's arm and wrapped his other arm around Missie's waist. "Let's get out of here. You guys hungry?"

The pair shrugged.

"Doesn't matter. I am" Newt said, "let's get some grub."

**************★**************

"So. No offense, Missie, Tommy. But you guys are different. The creators seem to love you Missie. Tommy you've arrived at a weird time. You and that girlfriend of yours " Newt sipped his glass of milk. She took the cup and raised her brow at the white liquid. She shrugged and sipped at it. It wasn't bad.