Chapter Three - School

The weekend passed by in a blur. Ben seemed a lot better and he was chatting on the phone with various friends, which was annoying at times.

Brad kept to himself and was either outside in the backyard playing football with himself or locked in his room doing god knows what.

I made pancakes for breakfast, since I was the first one up. I made twenty, but I had a feeling that, that wasn’t going to be enough. My dad eats fifteen alone, so we were just going to make it work, because we were out of eggs. I’d just have to pick up on my way home after school.

I ate two pancakes, with raspberry syrup and the boys thundered down the stairs.

‘I smell pancakes.’ Dad said, smiling.

‘Pull up a seat and have some.’ I said gesturing towards the plate filled to the top with the golden pieces of heaven.

Within seconds, there were only about five pancakes left.

Ben and Dad had both five each. Brad’s plate was empty.

‘Brad, aren’t you gonna have anything?’ I asked, worriedly.

‘I’ll have his if he doesn’t wanna eat any.’ Ben said with his mouth full of pancake.

‘Don’t talk with your mouth full, Benjamin.’ Dad said, pointing his fork at Ben.

‘Sorry dad,’ Ben said softly.

‘Brad?’ I asked.

‘I’m not hungry.’ He said and pushed his plate away. He got up and searched for his school bag.

‘I’m waiting in the car,’ he said pointing towards Dad’s police cruiser.

‘What’s up with him?’ I asked Ben.

‘He’s torn up because of the whole Sadie thing. He kind of had a thing for her,’ Ben said, rolling his eyes.

‘What?’ I asked, amazed.

Brad was in love with Sadie Rancher? Well, there’s a though that disturbed me.

‘Yeah, like since forever. That’s why he never dated any of the girls in our grade. And they’re all like gaga for him.’ Ben said, rolling his eyes again.

This was true. All the girls at Ben and Brad’s school were totally head over heels for them both, but Brad generally got more action because he was the bad boy type. If a fifteen year old boy who hasn’t hit puberty yet, and still sleeps with ‘Mr. Woogles’ is the bad boy type.

‘Well, he needs to get over himself.’ My dad said, clearing our plates.

He put the pancakes away and headed for the door.

‘Dad, don’t be so heartless. The girl he loved passed away. Cut him some slack,’ I said defending Brad. I was both grossed out and touched by Brad being in love with Sadie Rancher.

‘Whatever,’ Dad said pulling on his cap, and adjusting his gun belt.

It was a fairly warm day today, in Earnest Peaks and the weather report said it was going to be 65 degrees, but I don’t like taking any chances, so I had my hoody in my bag if the rain decided to show up.

I climbed into the back seat of the cruiser.

I didn’t like sitting in the front seat, because it was a police cruiser. Who’d want to sit in the front seat? Oh yeah, my weird brother, Ben. Brad was chilling in the back seat, with his iPod on full blast.

I tapped his shoulder.

He removed his earphones.

‘What?’ he asked irritated.