chapter two

I walk with Jaylynn to lunch. It's Friday, thank God.

"You're sure you don't want to come to the party?"

"Let me think about it, please," I say for the last time.

We sit down at our regular table with friends. I just try to fit in, I barely know any of these people.

"Oh my God, I have to write a six page essay next period," Christina groans, poking at her mashed potatoes.

"I finished it, it's not so hard, it's just an 'American hero' project," Jason chuckles, putting emphasis on the hero, mimicking our teacher with a Russian accent.

"Haha," I laugh to myself.

"Guys, cut Mrs. Ivan some slack, she's new to the country," Piper adds.

My phone buzzes in my oversized cougar sweater, causing me to shiver. I quickly slip it out, unlocking it. A direct message on Twitter.

12:18 pm

@ChandlerRiggs5: i need a math tutor.

Being one of the most intelligent students in my class, requests for tutoring get annoying. But it's okay, considering Chandler isn't the best. He's really good in history, though.

12:20 pm

@awkwardfics: when and why :P

12:21 pm

@ChandlerRiggs5: for advanced algebra and cause nobody else is willing to help me :(

12:22 pm

@awkwardfics: brianna will kill me

"Hello? Carly?" Justin waves his hand in the air.

"What?" I ask, slightly irritated.

"Who are you going with to the party?" Christina asks.

"I'm not sure if I'm going," I hesitate, embarrassed.

"Oh well," Kelly sighs dramatically.

12:25 pm

@ChandlerRiggs5: shes not in town. she left.

12:27 pm

@awkwardfics: ....

12:29 pm

@ChandlerRiggs5: ok...lets just not tell her

The bell rings, our que to leave the cafeteria. I shove my phone in my back pocket and pick up my tray. Jaylynn follows me.

"You were texting Chandler, weren't you?" she grins, placing her tray on top of the others.

"No, uh, I mean, yeah," I stutter.

"What did he want?"

"A math tutor."

"No," she laughs, "he wants more time with you."

My cheeks burn, embarrassed.

"Carly, he obviously has a thing for you," Jay smiles, walking out with me.

"He's dating-"

"But does he love her?"

----

Sixth period, the very last one. I sit down in an empty chair up in the library. I patiently wait for Chandler to arrive. I tap my pen on my notebook that is labelled, advanced algebra (grade 11).

What Jaylynn said today really got me thinking. If a guy was really committed, he'd only have time for his girlfriend. But she's leaving right away. He doesn't like me, does he? This is really confusing.

The door opens, startling me. I push my hair out of my face and wipe off the slight sweat off of my forehead. I take a deep breath, Chandler coming to the table.

"Hi," he smiles, sitting next to me, "thanks, for, uh, the help."

"No problem," I smile back, staring at his blue orbs reflecting off of the natural light from the window.

"Okay, page twelve," I say, flipping through my notebook.

"Question three, I don't get it," he says under his breath.

"Find the constant k, so that : - x2 - (k + 7) x - 8 =," I say, waiting for him to figure it out.

He bites his lip, thinking.

"Equals - (x - 2) (x - 4)?" Chandler asks, staring in my eyes.

"Yeah, that's right," I grin.

You don't even need tutoring, smart ass.

"Thanks Carly, uh, so, next question?" he stutters, looking down.

"Sure," I say.

After about four questions, we're almost done. He should get it by now.

"Y equals six, so if you-"

"Hey, Chandler?" I whisper, showing me his innocent eyes.

"Yeah?" he responds, only the two of us in the library.

"I can't do this," I whisper.

"Why?"

"It's just, not right."

He sighs.

"Brianna," I whisper quietly.

"What about Brianna?"

"Your girlfriend," I say with a duh tone.

Silence grows louder.

"Never mind." I say.

"Look, I'm going to be really bored this weekend. I'm just saying, you should go to Colin's party," Chandler says.

"I'm not sure."

"I'll meet you there," he suggests.

"I don't know."

"Come on. It'll be fun."

"Chandler...," I sigh.

He pouts, sticking out his bottom lips like a child.

"Fine."

My heart fills with joy. He just invited me to go with him. All I've wanted.

The last bell rings, Chandler just shoots me a smirk. We get up from the table and leave, kind of awkward.

"See you tomorrow night, Carly," he grins.