I remember watching her sleep in her room, with her next to me in the bed. My face felt hot, so I quickly got up and shook my head, making it go away.

"What happened? Where's Gabe?" I asked, glancing back behind me.

Kurona looked over in the corner of the room, where Gabe laid asleep. His wounds were patched up, and it seemed he passed out like me. I sigh in relief and sit down on the bed. It seemed we were in the infirmary in Nest.

"Big bro saved you." Kurona said, looking at the door.

I look at the door to find Sasaki standing there, leaning against the door way with a small smile. "I see your awake. Feeling alright?" He asked.

I nod for an okay, but I don't return his smile. "Hey... I was wandering... are you alright?" I asked slowly.

Sasaki tilted his head. "What do you mean?"

"I mean... never mind." I said, choosing not to pry in his business. I remember a brief moment of seeing Tatara bring skewered by him, and a shiver runs down my back.

"Tatara is dead. Now we only need to take down Eto." Sasaki said, his face serious again.

Something occurs to me and I stand. "Wait... why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be acting as an investigator still? Living your new life?" I asked.

His original plan after regaining most of his memories was to keep living as Sasaki Haise, the investigator and mentor of the Quinx squad. But he felt... different now.

Sasaki shrugged. "I found out that the life I sought isn't for me. I'm a member of the ghouls that run between Re and the Nest now. Me, Banjou, Nishiki, and Tsukiyama run it." He explained.

I flinched. "Nishiki... you mean Serpent? And why Tsukiyama!?!" I said.

I haven't seen that Harmony loving bastard in awhile, but I didn't mind it. Banjou was a person I was supposed to get on board with Nest anyway, so I had no objections. Part of me was saying this was awesome, more people on our side against Aogiri... but...

"Are you sure... this is what you want, Sassan?" I asked, a grim look going over me.

Sasaki stood blank for a moment, then looked down at his hands. He formed his hand in a certain familiar form and snapped his finger, making my body squirm for some reason.

That form... and that sound...

I heard it somewhere before...

I shake my head to get back to focus and listen to what he's going to say next. Sasaki then looked back up and a small smile went to his face.

"Yes; and, by the way, My name isn't Sasaki anymore... my name is Kaneki Ken." He said, turning his back and walking out of the room, grabbing his mask off the counter before leaving.

Kaneki... Ken?

His original name... He chose to take it up again.

I look over to where Kurona was and sighed. "I guess I should hit the books..." I started, but I remember something and run out of the room.

"Hey! Kaneki!" I said, getting his attention again.

Kaneki turned, his eyebrow raised with suspicion. I take my medical book up and smile nervously, asking this of someone that I considered a friend felt kind of selfish.

"Can... you help me study?" I asked.

Kaneki seemed surprised, and took my book from me, reading the subtext of the chapters. "Medical surgery and doctoral skills?" He mumbled, looking up at me.

"Why study?" Kaneki asked.

I twiddle my thumbs. "I... I want to reverse the Half Ghoul surgery somehow... to learn about it." I said.

Kaneki instantly dropped the book, and grabbed my collar, pulling me close. For a moment, his eyes were dark and dangerous, then he seemed to calm a bit, but he didn't let go of my collar.

"Why?" He said.

I bite my lip. "I promised..." I mumbled, feeling a bit embarrassed about this.

Kaneki tilted his head.

"I promised... Kuro I would... make it so she can eat human food again..." I said, trailing off, but picking it up again with doubt in my voice.

"Is that stupid?" I asked, looking at the ground.

Kaneki froze, his mouth open only a bit, slowly letting me go and picking up my book. He placed the book back in my hands and suddenly, he was chuckling.

"Alright, sure. I'll help you study." He said, patting my shoulder.

My face goes red and I groan in embarrassment. "Shut up. It's not funny!" I said.

Kaneki led me into the living room and sat down. "How about I teach you some pick up lines since I'm supposed to be teaching you stuff?" He said suddenly.

"Pick up lines? I want to learn about surgery." I said, a nervous smile on my face.

Kaneki pulled out some glasses dramatically, ignoring my comment. "Here is one! Are you a campfire? Cause you're hot and I want s'more!"

Everything wet silent, and I face palmed so hard a red mark went on my face. Even though he changed a lot, he still has those one liners that make you cringe.

"What? No good?" He asked.

The rest of the night was Kaneki helping me study... and every now and them throwing out a corny pick up line and asking for my opinions about them.

(And here begins the once again badass/funny/crazy/insane/holy Kaneki! And yes, Levin and him are gonna become the best of bros. Do not worry, more badass Kaneki is to come in the next few chapters! Nonetheless, I hope you enjoyed and have a wonderful day!) - MnMs171