7

I felt myself melt out of unconsciousness, like being dragged out of murky water. A comfortable coolness rested on my forehead and I slowly squinted my eyes open.

"Mama..?" I moaned thick of sleep, the room ablur.

"Ah, you're awake." Said Sebastian's voice. I tilted my head over, my eyes adjusting as I became more alert. Sebastian sat by the side of my bed in a chair, pressing a cool washcloth against my forehead and cheeks.

"Oh..." I mumbled, my eyelids heavy "How long was I asleep?"

"Since five o'clock last night. It's early morning now, nearly six. My, my, your accent is so thick when your tired." He chuckled, taking the cloth away as he placed in a porcelain bowl, then ringed out the access water "You gave us quite a scare the other day."

"I'm so sorry," I mumbled, my voice cracking at the end.

"There's no need to aplogize." He said softly, placing the washcloth back on my forehead "Burning fever, sweaty, coughing blood...this has happened before, hasn't it?"

"I'm afraid so." I sighed. Sebastain kept his eyes on the white washcloth as he spoke to me.

"What is it?"

"The doctor says it's tuberculosis. I was diagnosed with it a few years ago. He told me I was his youngest patient to have it. You'd think I'd get a sticker or something for being the first child diagnosed with it."

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asked, his eyes meeting back with mine.

"I...I didn't want to scare you. But I suppose the sight you saw earlier wasn't any better."

"It was quiet dramatic, yes." He agreed "How bad is it?"

"Not that serious." I pushed another lie "I haven't had a cough attack like that in ages."

"Are you sure?" He asked, a bit suspiciously.

"Yes." I fibbed once more. Sebastain sighed, taking the moist washcloth away from my face. It looked like he had been here all night. His swallow tail coat was off, his sleeves rolled up; but white gloves still on. His hair was bit of a mess, but not terribly. Just kind of tossled. Like he had been touching it an awful lot.

"How are you feeling now? You're temperature has gone down since you first collapsed."

"Much better. I'm ready to work now-" I said, sitting up. Sebastain stopped me, placing his fingertips on my shoulder.

"Goodness." He laughed "I'm glad you're feeling better, but it may be best for you to take it easy today."

"But I'm fine, really. Come on, I can't stay in bed all day, I'll go mad. I want to help out."

Sebastian smiled softly, tilting his head to the side.

"You like working here, don't you?"

"Of course. I've never lived with so many people, it's wonferful! Bard is an idiot; but so ambitious and exciting, Finny is such a sweetheart, Mey-Rin is just darling in her own special way..."

"What about the young master?" He asked curiously.

"Ciel? Oh..." I trailed off "I don't know. I haven't gotten the time to get to know him."

"Perhaps you will in time. He's been very busy this week." He said, tossing the washcloth in the bowl, then picked it up off the nightstand "I'd prefer you stay in bed for the rest of the day, but if you are still feeling better as you claim now at noon: you may work."

"Noon?" I whined "That's hours from now."

"As your father, I want you here." He smirked.

"Oh, now you pull out the father card. Only when you want to boss me around."

"But of course." He smiled brightly, just enough to irk me "Sleep tight, Adele."

"Goodnight, Sebutt." I said, flopping back against the pillow.

"Don't call me that."

"Don't tell me how to live my life."
Sebastain rolled his eyes as he held onto the door handle "Get some rest. I'll check on you later." And with that he left me alone in my room to rest, thought I doubt at this point it would do me much good.