Chapter 1- A Fresh Start

Fogkit is what you would call an 'early-bloomer.' She opened her eyes early. She didn't know why she did, she just had a good feeling about it.

The first thing she saw when she opened her eyes was her mother, Driftswipe. Driftswipe had looked kind and Fogkit always admired her since then. She would often murmur in Fogkit's ears, telling her how pretty she looked, but Fogkit knew the rest of the clan sometimes whispered about her. Yet, she never let it bother her.

...

A few moons later, Fogkit snored into her paws. The day before, the elders had her and her litter-brother clean out the nests. She was happy to do it, but now she was exhausted. The little she-kit's tail twitched against the nest, and her paws flicked in response to whatever happened in her dreams.

Suddenly, something bumped into her. She slowly opened her eyes and lashed her tiny tail in annoyance. That was such a good dream and now it's ruined! The little kit had dreamt she was flying, soaring through the clouds as the wind ruffled her fur. Oh well...

Blinking, Fogkit turned around to see her grumpy litter-brother staring right at her.

"Ah! Snowkit," she squealed, bushing her tail. "You scared me!"

Snowkit flicked his ears with a devious grin. He snickered, "Aw, I'm so sorry."

Fogkit frowned before looking away. What is up with him? He was always mean. Always by himself. Always secretive. Great StarClan! She wished she had a sister instead.

A heartbeat later, Driftswipe poked her head inside the nursery and glanced around the quiet den before fixing her eyes on the kits, "Come along, it's time for you two to meet Darkstar."

Fogkit immediately leapt to her paws, "Oh! Is Darkstar excited to meet us, Driftswipe?"

"He sure is," Driftswipe let out a mrrow of amusement.

Snowkit groaned, "But I'm hungry! Aren't we going to eat first and have our first piece of fresh-kill like you said? I'm sick of milk, ma!"

Driftswipe released a small sigh, "Yes of course, Snowkit. You can eat first."

Snowkit leapt to his paws at the mention of "eating" and he swiped his tongue over his mouth before scampering towards their mother.

Fogkit followed more slowly, in an attempt to look formal for her first time properly meeting Darkstar. Of course, Darkstar came to see the kits when they were born, but they never actually had the chance to speak to one another ever since.

The small family emerged from the nursery and made their way to the middle of the Shadowclan camp. Fogkit glanced around, wondering which cat could possibly be Darkstar, when out of nowhere a dark-furred cat approached them.

Could that be him?

Driftswipe waved her tail in greeting to the dark tom, "Hello, Moongaze! You haven't met my kits yet. This is Fogkit," she beckoned to Fogkit before turning to Snowkit, "And this here, this is Snowkit."

So this cat isn't Darkstar, Fogkit noted. His name is Moongaze!

Moongaze nodded, "Nice to meet you, little ones." He murmured, looking at the kits wistfully.

"It's nice to meet you too," Fogkit purred kindly, she wondered why Moongaze looked so sad.

Snowkit snorted, "He smells like crow-food!"

Fogkit let out a gasp of shock, "Snowkit!"

Moongaze narrowed his eyes, "That's not a very nice thing to say, Snowkit." There was a hint of irritation in his voice.

Driftswipe nervously chuckled, "Alright, alright. That's enough of talking to Moongaze. Now let's run along to see Darkstar." The kits' mother beckoned to the leader's den.

Moongaze sniffed before stalking off towards a group of warriors to speak with, grumbling along the way.

Fogkit turned to look at Snowkit, her jaw dropped, "Snowkit! Do you realize how rude that was?" she exclaimed.

Snowkit shrugged, "Whatever. It's fine," he muttered before following Driftswipe.

Fogkit stared after Moongaze, feeling bad for the tom. He didn't smell like crow-food at all! Maybe Snowkit just doesn't like Moongaze? Maybe that's it...

With a tail drooping, Fogkit followed after Snowkit and Driftswipe more reluctantly. She wanted to talk to Moongaze more... but Darkstar! She flicked her tail and quickly scampered after her family.

Fogkit caught up to her family and frowned. She looked up at her mother, "Driftswipe? Why was Moongaze looking at us like that?"

Driftswipe's eyes darkened and she sighed, "Moongaze always wanted kits of his own, but never had the chance. Splitstar..." she trailed off, flattening her ears, "It's nothing to worry about."

A dark furred cat was approaching them by then, and Bonerun quickly padded over.

Bonerun released a small purr as he sat down, "How are my loves doing?" he asked while twining tails with Driftswipe.

"Good!" Fogkit piped up.

Snowkit shrugged and muttered something inaudible.

Bonerun sighed and frowned at Snowkit, he seemed to be disappointed with him. Fogkit watched as he shook his head and turned to the black cat who had settled down in front of them, "Darkstar, this is Fogkit and Snowkit."

Darkstar nodded and smiled softly, "Lovely names for lovely kits."

Driftswipe broke out into a purr, "Thank you!"

Darkstar pondered for a moment, keeping his gaze set on the kits. Fogkit felt a little uncomfortable under the leader's stare. Was something wrong?

Darkstar finally looked away from the kits, "Bonerun, Driftswipe, I'd like to speak to you two in my den," he murmured, "I have a few things to tell you."