Chapter 23: Bakery Jobs.

Start from the beginning

"You're more unreliable than she is." She roles her eyes and I burst out laughing.

"I thought we had something." He frowns at her.

"We did have something up until you dropped the birthday cake yesterday." She smirks at him and grabs his cheek like an elderly woman would when in reality she's not that old.

"That was one time!" He whines, slapping her hand away.

She rolls her eyes with a chuckle and turns to me as she grabs her bag. "Please keep a close eye on him and make sure you go by everything I've taught you about the customers-"

"And everything about the shop." I smile. "I got it, don't stress and have a good day."

She grins and nods her head before making her way out of the store.

I sigh and look over at Lennie who's eyeing the donuts.

"Don't even think about it," I warn him.

"What do you mean?" He asks, looking puzzled.

"No donuts or food from the store without paying," I say sternly.

"You ain't my boss." He glares at me and goes to reach for one only for me to slap his hand before he can grasp it.

"I know but you heard her, we're not aloud."

"Fine!" He groans.

The bell above the door dings, notifying us that a customer has entered the bakery.

We turn our attention to see that it's an elderly couple, linking arms as they look around at what to buy from the glass window covering the baked goods.

"Hi, how are you both?" I smile politely at them.

They look over at me and smile warmly. "We're good thank you."

"How can help you guys?" I ask politely.

"Can we please have a loaf of bread and six seeded buns?" The elderly woman asks nicely.

"Of course." I nod and start walking over to retrieve her order.

"And can we also have two slices of the berry cheesecake please," asks the elderly man as he looks at Lennie for assistance.

"Sure thing, sir." Lennie smiles and proceeds in grabbing the tongs to grasp the cheesecakes with.

"Arnold." She slaps his shoulder lightly. "You're not supposed to be having such sugary desserts! Your diabetes-"

"Eh, the hell with my diabetes," he waves her off, "I'm not getting any younger and life isn't fun if you're restricting yourself from things you want."

"Even if they kill you?" She smiles up at him with adoration evident in her eyes.

"As long as I have you with me I couldn't care less." He grins down at her.

She blushes and he kisses her forehead softly.

Lennie nudges me out of my trance which was watching them with admiration at what I hope is my future some day in the distant future.

I type up the price of their items into the register and press subtotal. "All up that's fifteen dollars thank you."

The elderly man pulls the ten dollar note and the five dollar note out of his wrinkled up wallet that has nineteen-thirty-two printed on the front.

He hands it to me and I smile, grasping it and placing it into the till.

"Thank you, enjoy the rest of your day." I grin as Lennie finishes bagging their items.