Chapter 17 - grand slam

Comerica Park is friendlier in daylight. No druggie-zombies for one thing. My date, who isn't striking me as the brightest pup in the pound, offers to stay with me. Maybe he enjoys having his life threatened at ball games.

"No. I'll be fine." I slip my hand into Grant's as we make our way through the bag inspection line.

He drops his car keys into his Tiger's cap and sends it along with my little gym bag. "I'll watch my back this time. Nobody's sneaking up on me."

The security guy unzips my bag and shoots me a look. "Expecting cold weather?"

I smile. "I'm accident prone. Never hurts to have a change of clothes handy."

He shrugs and pushes the bag toward me. As we walk, I tell Grant my exit strategy. "You take my bag. If I disappear, just wait by the car."

"With a change of clothes?" He drapes the strap over his shoulder. The solid black bag is manly enough that he won't be concerned.

I'm tempted to tell him everything. Jack knows. So how much longer can I keep Grant in the dark? But I chicken out. A girl has a hard enough time getting a decent guy to spend time with. Not sure the whole shifter thing would play well on my dating website video.

"Just trust me," I say, "okay?"

He nods. "You've survived this long. Guess you know what you're doing."

Not really, but I'm glad he doesn't pry. I spot a vendor selling one of those big foam tiger claws. "Buy me a souvenir?"

Grant laughs. "I question your priorities, but sure." He gives the guy the outlandish sum of fifteen dollars and hands me the claw.

I tuck it under my arm, appreciating the symbolism. Too bad it's not black. When we reach the ramp to the upper level, I turn to him.

"You stay back and just watch things, okay? I'm in the same seat as last time, but I'm going down on the field first."

He peeks over my shoulder at the Kid's Day activities unfolding on the field. "Try not to hurt any of those little kids."

"I won't. I only beat up big guys like you."

He nods, his face sad. I wish he wouldn't worry, but I suppose I would, too. "Darla..." He hesitates. His eyes actually moisten. "I don't know what's going on, but you are the strongest person I've ever met." And then he leans down and kisses me.

It's over so fast I'm not sure it happened at all. I understand. It wasn't meant to be a tender moment. Not here in the middle of the causeway. It's like he's telling me goodbye. Just in case. He turns and trudges up the ramp.

I watch him go. This can't be real. For the first time in my life, I've found someone who really wants to be with me. And I have to be a shifter. Not only that, I'm about to make my decision known to Moloch. A decision that may end life as I know it.

A woman in a Tiger jersey and cap greets me at the gate to the field. "All alone, honey? What's your name?"

I nod. "Yes ma'am." Always pays to be polite. "Darla."

She hands me a stick on name tag, escorts me down to the field, and points out the different activities. There are kids fielding ground balls in the outfield. A pitching lesson on the right field foul line. Players scattered around, signing baseballs, cards, and anything else a kid could dig up.

But it's the batting line that grabs my attention. Of course, it's the longest. And why not? None other than Don Riviera is pitching to them. A digital readout shows the pitch speed every time he throws to one of the young batters. The kid up now, who can't be older than ten, swings and misses his 38 mph pitch.