four: late-night lovers

Another sleepless, relatively quiet, television-filled night had, unsurprisingly, come my way.

Quincy and I had returned to the dorms at around four p.m., and before he could even get a word out, I collapsed onto the bed and stayed there for the next eight hours.

I woke to darkness, and I shuddered, my eyes not yet adjusting to the severe lack of light. With a swiftness I didn't even know I had, I flicked the lamp on, soft light falling onto the walls and calming my nerves.

Sighing, I reached for my laptop, which sat beside the lamp, still plugged in. By the time I'd settled in with the contraption on my lap, my earphones in my ear, and my eyes on the screen, I couldn't have been more ready to ingest the rest of Orange is the New Black.

Quincy had said it was worth it, at some point during the day. We'd soon see.

My stomach grumbled-loudly-and I cringed, glancing at my still-packed bags that were huddled around the bed's frame. Pausing the show, I glared in the direction of the desk, making out the familiar shape of the lunch bag Mom had forced me to bring along.

If there wasn't food in there, my life would be over. Simple as that.

With another sigh, I stumbled out of bed, the floor welcoming my bare feet gladly. My hands reached for the bag, and as I lifted it up with surprisingly little effort, I tore it open, only to find absolutely nothing.

Quincy had scavenged through every single thing my mother had packed; we're going to need to have a serious discussion about boundaries, especially concerning food.

Why didn't I fight him off the first time? I scolded myself. Always protect the babies, Dan. Always protect the babies.

Frowning, my stomach let out another growl, reiterating its need.

When last did I even eat? I thought, drifting towards my messenger bag. Clearly, it had been a while.

Working fast, I pulled out the rules regarding the dorms, my eyes skimming over everything until I found something about times. Nothing was mentioned about leaving campus unannounced, and I grinned, frantically searching for a pen, my wallet, and the car keys.

Once I'd scribbled a note onto the page, I left it on Quincy's bedside table, and dangled my keys around my finger, searching for pants and pulling out my phone.

me: mcdonlad's?

The jeans I'd worn earlier were thrown into a corner, and I lunged for them, forcing them up my bare legs. I squished my feet into my Converse-the ones Noah had bought for me years ago that, somehow, never lost their meaning-and hurried out of the dorm, both my car and room keys twirling around my index finger from the key-ring.

The hallway was still impressively lit, with low hums of noise emanating from the dorms around us. My phone vibrated in my hands, and I checked it swiftly, already beginning the walk towards the front entrance.

shit-face: HELL YES

shit-face: wait, how are you getting off campus?

me: very good question. i'll let you know when i figure it out.

Sliding my phone into my pocket, I reached the front door, seemingly locked. I frowned, my hands tightening around the knob and shifting to no avail.