Chapter 4

Gorsepaw's paws were numb as she stumbled through the moorland grass. Her mind was fuzzy with shock.

Morningpelt, along with Finchclaw, Doepaw and all the other cats that had died kept floating across her vision. Gorsepaw moaned to the ghosts. "I'm sorry I couldn't help you. Please just leave me alone."

What's Blackpaw going to think when I come back? Gorsepaw sighed, not even fearing her brother's sharp blows anymore. He's probably going to claw my miserable pelt off.

Flashclaw, who was still on watch when Gorsepaw staggered to the hollow stopped her. "Where's Morningpelt?"

"She...she...got hit by a monster," Gorsepaw meowed, blinking her eyes rapidly to keep awake.

The white warrior gasped, "What!" He turned tail and flew into camp as a cloud-white blur.

Gorsepaw, too tired to follow, stood shakily at the top of the hollow. Her stomach rumbled, but she didn't dare venture into the camp she knew so well.

After a few moons, Shadestar, Pebblelake, and Greystorm padded up the hill towards her. They kept their distance, as if Gorsepaw was a badger.

Shadestar padded over to her, his voice was calm but his eyes suspicious. "Where is Morningpelt really Gorsepaw?"

"I-I told you!" Gorsepaw hissed. "She got hit by a monster!"

"Then where is her body?" Pebblelake narrowed his dark green eyes.

Oh great, how are they gonna believe me? Gorsepaw pointed her tail at the Thunderpath across the moor. "Twolegs took her body after the monster hit her."

There was a silence. Shadestar glanced over at Pebblelake before turning back to Gorsepaw. His hot breath blew over Gorsepaw's muzzle. "In which direction did the monster go?"

Gorsepaw scanned the three cats with narrowed eyes. "Why is finding Morningpelt's body so important to you. Twolegs don't eat the things they hit with their monsters...I think."

Greystorm looked offended and her amber eyes flashed angrily. "Morningpelt was my sister, she at least deserved a proper burial," she said bitterly.

Gorsepaw felt a tail tip flick her shoulder gently. It was Pebblelake. The grey and white tom turned to Shadestar and cleared his throat. "She's suffering from shock and extreme exhaustion. This isn't a good time to question her Shadestar."

Looking a bit startled, Shadestar blinked, "Err...of course." The big tom stepped to the side to let Gorsepaw pass. His yellow eyes were slits against his black and white face.

Pebblelake left Gorsepaw alone once they reached the medicine cat den. He rushed off to find herbs, his grey and white tail lashing.

Gorsepaw looked down at the heather nest and collapsed. Her vision faded into a dark blur before she could even think of something to dream about.

***
Gorsepaw fought her way out of sleep, coughing and her fur prickly with fever. She hissed when she saw it was already midday. Mousedung! Applefoot'll have me for sleeping late!

When she struggled to get to her paws, she felt a paw press against her shoulder. It was Pebblelake. He wrinkled his nose, as if she smelled bad. "You're sick. Today you need to rest."

"But-" Gorsepaw began.

"No buts!" Pebblelake silenced the brown she-cat with his tail. Gorsepaw sank back into her nest and she drifted off into an uncomfortable sleep.

Before her was darkness, and out of it came Morningpelt. Gorsepaw gasped and took a step forward. "Morningpelt?" she gasped when Morningpelt emerged completely.

Her normally bright ginger pelt was torn up, and her eyes were empty and sightless. One of her back paws dragged behind her, like the bones had been crushed.

Gorsepaw took a frightened step back. "Morningpelt? I-it's me!"

Her dead mother said nothing. The silence was even more frightening than words.

Another figure came out of the darkness. It was Finchclaw. His neck wound dripped dark blood.

More cats appeared, they all were in the same shape as Gorsepaw's mother and father. A white she-cat limped forward. Her dead blue eyes were dark with hate.

Gorsepaw recognized her as Frostpelt, an IceClan warrior who had been killed by rogues a few moons after she and Blackpaw were born. Her pure white pelt was stained red as deathberries from her wounds.

Gorsepaw took a step back as the ghosts drew closer. "W-what do you want?" she called out, a note of fear in her mew.

The ghosts did not answer. Instead they continued to walk slowly towards her. Their dead eyes were as lifeless as stones.

Someone was screaming when Gorsepaw woke up. She was still in the medicine cat den and it was dusk. A cat was screeching, then she realized her mouth was wide open. She snapped it shut and looked around.

"Dear StarClan, what were you dreaming about?" Pebblelake meowed. His dark green eyes were emotionless.

Gorsepaw sighed. "You know...fever dreams."

Pebblelake said nothing. The silence was louder than the screams. Finally he broke the silence. "My mentor's name was Fevercloud because she was born sick. She got sick a lot, and had fevers too, hence her name. But never did she wake up screaming like that. Also, you kept saying you could have warned someone."

Gorsepaw froze. She knew what was coming next.

Pebblelake narrowed his eyes,"Do you have visions Gorsepaw?"

Oh no! What do I tell him? Gorsepaw could feel her heart pounding in her chest. Blood rushed to her ears from the tension. What will his reaction be? "Umm...yes?"

"What are they of?" Pebblelake said relentlessly. There was a cold curiosity in his eyes, glowing like frosty stars.

Gorsepaw looked around the medicine cat den and the hollow. Shadestar was sharing tongues with Sunfeather and the most of the warriors had probably gone on patrol. Otherwise, the camp was empty. Flanks quivering, Gorsepaw turned to the medicine cat. "I...I can see how cats die."

Pebblelake said nothing. Gorsepaw held her breath. How would he react? Would he tell Shadestar? Would he force her to answer more questions and use her power to help the clan? Would he say she was a monster?

All these thoughts raced through Gorsepaw's head faster than rabbits. The outcome of her situation was unpredicable.

Finally, after what felt like seasons, Pebblelake answered quietly. "You've never told anyone about this?"

The scrawny she-cat shook her head. She worried that her heartbeat was so loud it would echo off the walls.

"This...this is..." Pebblelake struggled to find the right words. "Have you seen me-"

"Yes. I saw how you die, along with everyone else I've ever seen," Gorsepaw snapped.

The medicine cat looked like he was about to faint. Gorsepaw got to her paws despite the awful aching feeling it have her. She didn't feel sick anymore, instead she was scared. Pebblelake watched her leave silently, making no effort to stop her.

Gorsepaw felt the wind blow through the hollow, ruffling and cooling her hot fur. She held her head high, amber eyes catching the falling sun. The moor spread out before her, a sea of heather and grass.

There was nothing that would stop her now.

Soo I have literally nothing else to do today so I'm gonna be on my phone a lot. Yep...stuffs about to get serious >:)