Wait. What?

Upon realisation, my heart dropped like a stone. So the reason why she suddenly warmed up to me again was because she thought I had given up on her. And here I was, thinking that luck is on my side.

Should I still clarify it with her? But she has finally warmed up to me again...What if she decided to avoid me again when she found out that I hadn't? Would I have a better chance getting closer to her as a friend?

"Ducan?" Fortis tilted her head in question.

I gave her a wide smile. I'll do it if it means that she won't avoid me again. I can't stand it when she avoids me.

"Are you jealous?" I smirked.

"Why would I be?" She answered with a smile.

The honesty in her voice is like a slap in the face.

Looks like I am back to ground zero.

"Because I'm the epitome of perfection," I wagged my brows at her.

"I can't believe you," she shook her head with a soft smile.

God. I love her smiles.

"Tsked. You should know how to recognise perfection when you see one," I said in a reprimanding tone.

"But nothing is perfect," she challenged.

"Then I'm the perfect imperfection," I finished smoothly.

She glanced at me from head to toe and shook her head vigorously. "Doesn't seem like it."

"Did you just check me out?" I teased and her face turned into the slightest shade of pink.

So cute.

"Nah," she wrinkled her nose in mock disgust.

"Haven't your teacher taught you not to judge a book by it's cover?"

"You're definitely not a book. The basic requirements of a book are knowledge and wisdom," she said with a grin before walking away.

It took me awhile to get what she meant. When I stared at her retreating figure, I spotted the victory sign that she held high in the air.

Damn girl. I couldn't stop the grin that stretched across my face painfully.

I don't need this small victory. I just need to win her heart.

******************************
*At midnight*

Fortis' POV.

"It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life. For me. And I'm feeling good...." I sang.

"It's not dawn, it's the end of a day and unless you intend to wake everyone up, shut up."

"Must you be a wet blanket?" my mood plunged the instant I heard his comments.

I didn't even sing that loud.

"Shh..." he lifted a finger to his lip and closed his eyes.

"What?"

"Did you hear that?" he opened his eyes.

"Hear what?" I asked in surprise.

"Your friends croaking along with you."

I glared at him. Did he just compare my singing to a frog croaking? Then, a brilliant comeback came to my head and my glare dissolved into a smile.

"I could hear it very well, my friend." I planted a hand on his shoulder as I tried to maintain a straight face.

Zander eyed my hand like a disgusting bug and shrugged it off. "Who's your friend?"