Chapter 7: Acting Normal

Start from the beginning

When we finally arrived at the bar we parked in the back, both of us checking our makeup one last time before heading into the building. The heels on my feet clicked against the black asphalt, and I couldn't help noting how flimsy they were. They would never withstand the speeds I could reach.

I cleared my mind of the thought immediately, shaking my head slightly and trying to focus on tonight. This was supposed to be a fun, normal, non-chaotic night for the four of us. I couldn't be thinking about anything related to our work if I was going to enjoy the time for what it was meant to be.

We made our way through the doors, Caitlin in front with me just a few paces behind. She probably looked even more stunning than she claimed I was. The periwinkle colored fabric of her dress commented her skin tone nicely, and the body con style really showed off her curves. Not to mention that the front revealed just a bit of her cleavage while still leaving more than enough to the imagination. I was sure there would not be a drop of drool on me while she was around, but I didn't mind. She deserved to find someone, too.

Barry and Cisco were already seated at a table near the center of the bar, and they rose to greet Caitlin, not noticing my presence as her body hid my silhouette from view. Then again, maybe it had nothing to do with my stupid reasoning and everything to do with the fact that they couldn't stop looking at her gorgeousness. They'd probably never seen her like this.

But, at least for Barry, I was eventually noticed.

He paused for a moment, taking a moment to look me over as his eyes scanned my body. A blush rose to my face, and I had to look away for a second. When I returned his gaze again I watched as his mouth opened and closed repeatedly as if he wanted to say something but couldn't find the words. It only made the light blush flush with more fervor. As he'd done so many times for me, I decided to save him in that moment.

"Hi, Barry," I greeted as I stepped closer so we were within talking distance. Following the lead that Caitlin had showed, I pulled him in for a hug which he took without second thought. That was the first time Barry and I had ever shared a legitimate hug.

"Hi, Haven," he echoed as he smiled down at me. "You look incredible tonight."

I was sure my entire face was as red as a tomato as I replied. "Thank you. And you're not half-bad yourself," I joked. To be honest, he looked very handsome, and I could feel my heart flutter a bit in my chest. I was shocked by the feeling, but I simply attributed it to my body just feeling the need to run at the moment. That was the only explanation, wasn't it?

A minute passed and Cisco and Caitlin were already discussing work amongst themselves. I rolled my eyes, but I didn't interrupt. They just couldn't seem to separate their work lives from their social ones. I was surprised I was actually managing to keep any thoughts of working out of my head.

"Want to get a drink," Barry finally spoke up.

"Is that even a question?" I chuckled as we began walking towards the bar.

We got a few shots and brought them back to the table as well as individual drinks for each of us. I noted that there were at least three times the amount of shots as I would have expected, and I gave Barry a questioning glance.

"I'm trying to see if enough shots will allow me to get just a little tipsy," he sighed as he placed the tray down on the wooden surface. "I've already had seven in under a minute, and I feel nothing."

"Barry!" I gasped. "You had seven in under a minute? How could you possibly be okay? Are you sure you're not just saying that because you're drunk?"

"It's his metabolism," Caitlin piped in for the first time. "He burns it too fast for him to feel the effects. It might be the same for you." She sipped her drink and looked at me in anticipation, waiting for me to try.