Chapter 10-Ceremony

The stadium is humongous, Dave thinks. And it is. The stadium is large with kids all over the seats, food concessions line up around the outside, a wide rink with ropes covering the perimeter, and a whole variety of action in the rink. There are plays of war, romance, tragedy, horror, mystery, and of the future. Dave's mind went wide with curiosity. Two bodyguards are standing beside the entrance to the stadium with serious looks. They stop Sheba and say, "Who is this?"

"A rookie."

The guard looks at him with curiosity.

"Looks familiar."

"Devon, we don't have time for this. Let us in."

"Alright alright, no rush here."Devon lets them through and they walk towards row 8 where Sam and Jon sit. The sit down as the ceremony begins with prayer, then saying the pledge of allegiance, then saying their own pledge to the camp, and then Joshua walks up into a pulpit and says, "It is a pleasure day to see your faces again. But let us give a moment of silence to a great companion who died today. Carl Smith, a descendant of Caleb, my 'brother' who agreed with me when the other spies didn't. My God rest his soul and may we all see him in heaven."

Dave can see as Linda walks up to the coffin, crying softly as her friends comfort her. Friends of Caleb look at the coffin like it wasn't suppose to have their friend in it. Sam shakes his head.

"If only we were able to get Dave out of their quicker."

Sheba nods her head but Jon says, "Why are you upset? Caleb did something we couldn't do. He sacrifices his life for something he wanted to happen. We'll let that happen so his death won't be in vain."

Sheba and Sam nod their head in agreement. Joshua waits for the kids to sit back down and he begins again. "But we must keep on. The hope is coming. It's our time again to fight back."

The kids cheer in agreement. Joshua closes his eyes and grabs the sides roughly. Deborah gently holds his shoulder. Joshua brushes it off and continues.

"But let us continue with the ceremony. Deborah has some important announcements to make. I hope you guys have a wonderful time today and for the rest of eternity."

Joshua sits down as Deborah walks up to the pulpit. She starts giving out announcements. Sheba whispers to Dave, "It sucks having to help kids but then only to lose them."

Dave looks at her and says, "Like my parents?"

Sheba turns to the rink feeling dumb.

After announcements the ceremony begins with fire blazing and actors running around the rink. The rink changes into a desert, people setting up scenes and props. Dave is fascinated with the changing of the rink. The actors start the play of the Exodus. Dave watches as the actors perform with high quality.

"They're good."

"Yeah. You could be one of them," replies Sheba.

"Yeah right. You're the star of the show."

Sheba shakes her head and gets closer to Dave, gently touching his hand. Dave looks down and then up at Sheba. He shrugs his shoulders and wraps his hand around hers watching the play end. The campers give out a mighty applause before sitting down to watch the ceremony begin.

"Will all the newcomers please make their way down the rink?"

Sheba pecks Dave on the cheek and whispers "Go get them giant slayer."

"Giant slayer? What's that suppose to mean?"

Sheba shrugs as Dave walks down the rows to the rink.