Chapter Two

"The family – that dear octopus from whose tentacles we never quite escape, nor, in our inmost hearts, ever quite wish to."
- Dodie Smith

Ashley Davis

It was November and with it came the approaching Thanksgiving.

The whole estate was in uproar, the gardeners were tending to the bushes out front, the grasses out back and cleaning the pond at the back of the estate, trying to get the estate ready for the thanksgiving party as quickly as possible.

Every year, Papa threw an early Thanksgiving and lavish party inviting all the elite families of the society, serving them the finest meals they had ever tasted. Papa was known to be a legendary host among the society.

Marcus Anthony Davis, my father was very generous with everyone. He never stopped giving holiday bonuses to his employees, he never hesitated to fund for several charitable organisations, he never failed to take his whole family overseas every once in four months. He was the best Papa anyone could ever ask for. Actually, he was the best man ever.

"Ms. Ashley, come on, focus! And a one, and a two...."

I stumbled on my step as Ms. Genevie, our dance governess penetrated my thoughts. I righted my steps as she gave me a disapproving look. Locking away my interfering thoughts, I concentrated on learning the steps of a new ballroom dance. My dance partner Julie who was also my maid, followed the instructions our governess directed from the side.

Papa never allowed males in the house. Other than our family butler, Mr. Carter and Papa himself, there were no presence of any male body. He said it was for our own good. He did not want any male to taint his precious daughters. Papa shielded us as much as he could because he loved us all very dearly. That was what we had been told from the beginning so I could not argue now nor did I want to.

When I showed the exact steps of the  dance, Ms. Genevie dismissed my class and called my fifteen year old sister, Stephanie for her dance lesson.

I met her on the way out as she descended the giant staircase. Her blonde hair bouncing with every step. Her eyes, the color of clear sparkling blue similar to my mother's one were brightened at my presence. Her lips pulled into a smile as she noticed me, standing at the last step.

"Did you finish your dance already?" She asked me with her usual perkiness.

Stephanie Mae Davis, was always the most outspoken sister among us. She was always smiling and laughing which were very contagious if I might say so. No one could help but smile back at her.

"Yes, I did." I nodded. "Where is Emily?"

"Where else? Obviously, the library." Steph said with a roll of her eyes. "I tell you, Ashley, for a ten year old, she is quite different."

"Steph, you are just saying that because she does not roam around like you." I told her, smiling fondly as I pictured a small, quiet Emily sitting on the large settee upstairs in the library, with her nose buried in one of Ian Fleming's book.

Emily Lynn Davis, my ten year old sister with dark blonde hair and blue eyes hidden behind a round spectacles, was the most unique girl. For being that young, she was a very knowledgeable and wise girl. As the eldest at twenty-three, I myself felt threatened and quite stupid whenever Emily opened her mouth, but I loved her to bits.