Prolog: The nearing menace

A/N: Here's my new story. I'm a huge fan of the game Okami and I always wanted to write a story about it, but I had no ideas. So when an idea struck me it resulted into this. This is also my first romance story ever, so I hope it's not that bad. I hope you'll enjoy it and I would love to hear your feedback :)

''talking''

thinking

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our story plays in Nippon, the ancient Japan. Nippon is a country shrouded in legends and had been controlled by the evil more than once. The last incident was only two years ago.

Yami, the Lord of Darkness had tried to plunge Nippon into darkness. But he was defeated by a white wolf with crimson markings. This wolf was the sun goddess Amaterasu and only people, who believe in gods could see those markings. On her back, she carried a Divine Instrument, a weapon, which only she could use. It was the Divine Retribution, a black, round reflector, which was surrounded by red flames. Even this weapon could only be seen by people, who believe in gods.

After Yamis's defeat, Amaterasu had returned to the Celestial Plain, the place where gods live.

She lay bored in the meadow. It had many different and beautiful flowers on it and pink flower petals were carried by the wind. Those belonged to the majestic cherry tree, which stood in the center of the meadow and under which Amaterasu lay.

When she was about to fall asleep her ears twitched and she was wide awake. She felt an evil presence coming towards Nippon. Amaterasu stood up and wanted to run to Waka, a member of the Moon Tribe.

The Moon Tribe was a species of humanoids, who had lived on the moon. Their distinctions were long, golden hair, clairvoyance and technologically-advanced artifacts. Long ago a mysterious catastrophe, the so called Moon Tribe cataclysm happened and wiped out almost the entire tribe. Only three members had survived. One of them was Waka.

But before Amaterasu could even start to run, Waka appeared magically in front of her. She never figured out how he did that or why he was able to do it.

Waka had long, golden hair and wore a bright pink kimono. Over it, he had a purple Sashinuki-hakama, a pleated culottes. His feet were dressed in white tabi socks, socks where the big toe was separated from the rest. And he also wore red geta sandals with only one tooth. These were made of wood and had a high sole. On top of them was a ribbon, which disunites the big toe from the others.

''Hello, ma cherié. I'm sure you felt it too. This dark presence, which heads to Nippon.'' Waka said.

Amaterasu gave him a bark as answer.

Waka nodded and added:

''Amaterasu, you must return to the mortal world to stop this coming evil.''

She wagged her tail by the thought of seeing her friends again and have some adventures.

Waka smiled and said reminding:

''You seem happy to return to the mortal world, ma cherié. I'm sure you missed your little bouncing friend. Maybe you meet him again. But you can't lose your concentration. Your priorité is to defeat the evil, that threatens Nippon.''

While he talked to her, Amaterasu turned her face away from him and yawned. Waka sweatdropped at her behavior, but he was used to it. She always did that, especially when the information was important and she should listen.

Waka sighed and went together with Amaterasu to the ark of Yamato. The ark of Yamato was a big ship, which had been created by the Moon Tribe. It had been stuck in the frozen Laochi lake, which was located in the northern lands of Nippon, for centuries. The ark had also been the hideout of Yami, the Lord of Darkness.

They went inside the ship and to the control room. It was a big room full of technologically-advanced devices. Those stood on the sides of a large screen.

Waka walked to the screen and pushed the blue button on the left side of it. After that, it turned on and showed the surroundings of the ark. When that was done Waka went to the right side and entered the coordinates.

The powertrain of the ark started to move and soon it was heading to Nippon, or to be precisely the Laochi lake in the northern lands.

After 30 minutes the ark of Yamato landed in the now unfrozen lake. When the exit opened, a rainbow bridge appeared, which led to the altar where the legendary sword Kuton was kept. Amaterasu and Waka walked to the altar.

When they reached it Waka turned to Amaterasu and said indicating:

''I suggest you start your journey in Kamiki Village. With a little luck, you meet your little bouncing friend there. I'll stay here to make sure, that the ark won't be used as a hideout for demons again.''

While Waka mentioned this friend she wagged her tail and ran off in the direction of Kamiki. Waka sighed at that, but he couldn't blame her for missing the one with whom she had traveled two years ago.

In the Shinshu field:

A little black dot, which was surrounded by green light crossed bouncing the Shinshu field, a huge and beautiful landscape.

If you enter it from Kamiki Village, which was located south of it, you follow a path, which led to the open grassland. Southwestern stood the house of the Nameless Man, a good-natured and carefree person, who loved to make pots and vases. There was also the entrance to Hana Valley. Next to it was a small river, which passed a big cherry tree and joined with lake Harami, which surrounded the whole field.

To get to the other side you must cross a small bridge. There stood the kiln of the Nameless Man. On this side was also a high cliff, on which the entrance of the northern lands was located. That side of the field went up a hill. On the highest point of it were two bridges. The first one led down to the house of Tama, a famous pyrotechnist. The second one connected the hill with the other side.

From there, you could choose between three paths.

The northern one went down to a small sand path, which originally led to the Moon Cave. It also went through a gigantic, gray torii, a traditional Japanese gate, which stood in the lake. In front of it stood the house of Mika, a monk, who had watched over the Moon Cave. It stood on the right side.

The east path led to an old waterway to Agata Forest.

If you take the south one, you will come down the hill. On that way, you will come across a plateau, on which were a small pond and a dojo. Follow the way further, head in the direction of Kamiki and you will see a stone circle.

This dot was Issun, the Poncle, a really tiny human and the seventh Celestial Envoy.

Celestial Envoys are the messengers of the gods. They draw paintings of them and remind people, that gods still live and protect them. Only a Poncle can become a Celestial Envoy because they are the only ones, who can communicate directly with gods.

Issun had accompanied Amaterasu on her journey through Nippon two years ago. After she had left, he worked hard to fulfill his duty as Celestial Envoy. He traveled through the country and showed people pictures of Amaterasu, which he had drawn. It was a hard job, especially when people forget too fast what she had done.

Issun was on the way to Agata Forest to show people his latest work when he noticed something. On the right side of the Shinshu field, where stones formed a circle and a red symbol was painted on the ground, lay two persons. A boy and a girl.

A/N: I know, that it isn't easy to understand a few things if you don't know Okami, but I try my best to write is as understandable as possible. If you have any questions about it I'd be happy to answer them.

(Track: Prologue)