I heard my mother sigh, but it was an upset kind, not the nonchalant kind. “Willa, I really wish there was a cure, but, unfortunately there’s nothing I can do.” She mumbled, still upset, but her gaze never left mine.

    When I took a deep breath, I noticed that it sounded choppy, and I could feel the tears I’ve batted back starting to fall across my cheeks.

    “Hey, one weekend, we should have a mother daughter day. Just you and me; we’ll go see a movie, and do girlie stuff.” she said with a smile, and for some strange, unfathomable reason, it made me feel better.

    I quickly wiped the tears away with my hand, before I nodded in agreement, hoping it’ll be a good enough excuse so I could escape. She smiled, and I know that I’m off the hook.

    “How was your day?” Mom asked, obviously trying to erase all of the pessimism in the room.

    Reluctantly, I decided to oblige if it’ll make her feel better. “It was okay.” I mumbled, shrugging my shoulders to make my words ring true.

    “How’s Draco?” she asked, as smile forming on her lips.

    I could already feel the blush entering my cheeks before I answered, “He’s fine. Why did you ask?”

    She shrugged nonchalantly. “Just curious.”

    After scrutinizing her briefly, I decided that now is the perfect time to go back into my room.

    I don’t like to bring up Mom’s pancreatic cancer in most conversations, but when I talk about it to my friends, it feels almost relieving. The only people who know are Raven, Josh, Kristen, and of course, Draco. At least they could understand what I’m going through.

    And whenever someone brings it up, even if I bring it up, I’d have to hold back the tears until I’m alone in my room. However, today was different. No tears had come out. Maybe I’ve already gotten them out of my system, and didn’t even know about it.

    At times like this, I’d wish Draco would appear, like he usually does every night when both Mom and Dad are asleep. Unfortunately, he won’t be here until then. So, the only thing to help me pass the time was finishing up my homework, checking my email, tidying up my room—anything that’ll keep my body and mind focused until then.

     I could easily imagine his lips on mine, his strong arms around me, but until then, I’d have to wait.

    The next morning was more or less the same. I’d already forgotten the inevitable when Draco came into my room right after my parents fell asleep, and I was already on cloud nine the moment he’d kissed me. It all felt like a crazy, wonderful dream that I don’t want to wake up from. So it surprised me when my alarm went off, and I remembered where I am.

    And when Raven slammed the car door, it was another alarm clock, making sure I was awake.

    “Hey Willa.” She said, already playing with the radio.

    “Hey.” I mumbled, already pulling out of the parking lot of her apartment complex.

    She’d already found her usual station, and when it began playing one of her favorite songs, she began singing badly, off key. At least I can be with my thoughts, but my thoughts apparently keep going back to Nicholas Bates.

    Why would he even try to talk to me at first, but then pretend I don’t even exist? Maybe he has bipolar disorder, or some kind of mental illness. Maybe—just maybe, though I highly doubt it—he just doesn’t like me at all…but why?

    I shook my head quickly, clearing my head as I drove into the parking lot, and noticed Draco’s car parked next to my space.

    “Hi.” I said seconds after the smile already entered my face, and ignoring Raven as I locked the car and went toward him.

    “Hi.” He said, voice alluring, just like always.

    His answering smile was all that motivated me to bring my lips to his. Another kiss that was a constant reminder that he’s real, and this is not a dream.

     When we pulled apart, I felt like I was being watched. I carefully glanced around the parking lot, the anxiousness already creeping into my body when at first I didn’t see anything unusual. The second time, I spot it, and immediately my entire body began to shake.

    “What’s wrong?” Draco said, but his voice felt so far away and I couldn’t look up at him yet.

    I was already distracted.

    Even thought they were no more than a half a mile away from where we’re standing, I could see three distinct figures within the confines of the wooded area. I gulped, but I couldn’t stop the shivers that continued to run up and down my spine. The fear coming into my system as my knees began to feel weak, and if it weren’t for Draco’s arms I would’ve fainted right there in the parking lot.

    “Willa, are you okay?” Draco asked.

    I took a deep breath before I could finally look up at him, and said, “I don’t know.”

    I looked up, and noticed that his gaze is far away. At first I wanted to see if he sees what I just saw, but then his gaze quickly returns to mine. “Don’t worry. Like I’ve said before, I’ll be here to protect you if any of the decide to do you harm.” He murmured, his lips at my ear.

     And as we walked inside the building, I couldn’t stop the sudden shivers that went down my spine.

     When Raven and I arrived in English, Nicholas Bates had already occupied her seat. I sadly watched as she slowly made her way to the seat she was given, the one that was formally occupied by Nicholas Bates. With a sigh, I went to my usual seat, all the while I was thinking to myself, It’s just for a little while. Everything will go back to normal.

     But I keep having a weird feeling that everything won’t be the same ever again.

     I sneaked a quick glance at Nicholas, and I know that he’s not even bothering to look at me, especially when his head is already inside his book. I took a deep breath, and tried to do the same. But something inside me won’t rest—a nagging feeling that something is up with Nicholas.

     I know it’s strange that he hasn’t said a word to me since yesterday, but I feel like there’s something…strange about him. With a sigh, I turn my head to my book, hoping that the story will make the next fifty minutes pass in a blur.

     Then, I felt something tapping on my shoulder. I turned around, and I was surprised to see Nicholas looking at me.

     “Can you catch me up on Beowulf? I’m always getting some of the names confused.” He said, sounding just as confused as any new person who would’ve came here around this time of the year.

     I laughed, briefly but quietly. “You’re asking the wrong person. I couldn’t understand the story, and the movie was too gory.” I admitted, already feeling useless. “All I know is that there’s a lot of violence in both the story and movie.”

     He chuckled. “It was worth a shot.” He muttered before turning his attention back to his book.

     “Well, maybe we can both try to figure it out.” I blurted before I could think it through.

     He looked back up at me doubtfully, but after what feels like five minutes of an uninterrupted staring contest, his facial features began to relax. “That might work.”