The Battle of New York

Start from the beginning

"Turn around."

Alex twisted her entire body around, still flying forwards, and Iron Man was directly behind her with a dozen of their enemy on his tail.

"I'm going to nose dive, you keep them on you, and I will pick them off from behind you." Alex informed him, before she suddenly started zooming head first towards the ground. The aliens would think she was a lost cause, and carry on going after Stark, and then she'd loop up and burn them.

She stopped with her face a metre away from the ground. Alex breath quickened. She hadn't quite factored in her speed into her calculations, and was a lot closer to the ground than she had intended. She shook her head slightly, before shooting back up to go help Stark.

Alex made sure she was at the back of the pack, and formed a fire ball in her hand, making it grow until it was the size of a large beach ball.

"Surf's up!" She muttered to herself, before smacking it forward with her palm and taking out all of Tony's flying stalkers.

"Stark, Cosmos, are you seeing this?" Steve's voice questioned. Alex glanced forward, trying to find what Cap could see. It only took her a sec.

"Seeing. Still working on believing," Tony said, and Alex found herself agreeing. What the hell was that? A giant flying alien centipede? Never in her life had she seen something like it, and she had seen chimera and real hydras and giants. The creature before her was armored, whether it was born that way or designed that way by its creator, she didn't know. "Where's Banner? Has he shown up yet?"

"Banner?" Steve's voice questioned, confused on why Stark believed Banner would show up to an active war zone anyway. Bruce was trying to avoid conflicts that would unleash the Hulk, and this certainly would do that.

"Just keep me posted."

Alex turned her head and noticed a swarm of the aliens starting to flank her. She pressed her comms link down and a smile came onto her face.

"Nat, Clint, I'm bringing some friends to meet you. See you in two," Alex waved at the Chitauri soldiers and then veered sharply towards the ground, but this time slowed her descent and stopped herself next to Clint. The Chitauri followed her and landed in front of the trio, using scepters as weapons not unlike Loki, but they seemed to be more like guns, like the weapons Hydra had used during the war.

"Don't ever say to me that I don't introduce you to new people." She teased, flicking her fingers up towards the sky and watching colossal vines shot up through the concrete from the earth below. Alex smirked as the creepers wrapped around Loki's soldiers and crushed them, dragging their bodies back below the surface.

Natasha caught the look on her friend's face and smiled slightly.

Alex had been thinking of leaving this life. She wanted to spend more time with her family, who she often thought she neglected in order to work. She didn't want to constantly fight for her life, but Natasha knew that there was no leaving the fight for Alex. It was all she had ever known. Even when raising a family of her own and working in the SHIELD labs, she hadn't been able to escape her need for this world. It was never more clear than now, with a satisfied grin on her face as the plants she conjured so easily with her Olympian powers killed the enemy.

"Not the kind of people we want to meet." Clint said, firing one of his special arrows. Alex loved Clint's arrows, especially the ones that shoot bullets to take out the surrounding bad guys. She often found herself having a hand in the design of new trick arrows for her partner, just to see if she could.

Alex threw a fire ball into the dwindling mass of extraterrestrials, and expanded it until it engulfed all of them.

"Nice work, Hothead." Stark praised Alex, to which she grinned.