Explosive Situations

Chapter Three

Loki was pacing round his cage once more, bored of sitting down and waiting, when he felt her presence. A smile spread across his face, and he addressed her before he turned.

"There's not many people who can sneak up on me."

"But you figured I'd come." She replied, standing in front of the glass cage that was meant to house Dr Banner's alter ego in case of dire emergency.

"After," Loki said, beginning his slow pacing again, facing her as he spoke. "After whatever tortures Fury can concoct, you would appear as a friend, a balm. And I would cooperate."

"I want to know what you've done to Agent Barton." Natasha Romanoff demanded, in her calm way. No emotion got past her mask, one that she had perfected over years of practice. Loki wouldn't draw any conclusions on her emotions or body language, unless she guided him to it, of course. As she asked her question, her head tilted slightly to the left. Alex had told her once that she did that. Like it was a habit or something.

"I would say I've expanded his mind." Loki answered.

"And once you've won, once you're king of the mountain, what happens to his mind?" Romanoff questioned, stepping forward until she was only a couple of steps from the edge of the walkway. Her arms crossed over her chest and her head raised slightly, trying to make herself look bigger.

"Is this love, Agent Romanoff? It might upset you to know that Agent Barton revealed his pact with Agent Cosmos and of his secret feelings towards her. Very useful information."

"Love is for children. I owe him a debt." Natasha answered Loki's question, ignoring the rest of what he'd said. She didn't need him to tell her Clint was in love with Alex. She knew that a long time ago, though she was wary of the fact that Loki might try to manipulate Alex or Clint with that information.

Loki smirked, and stepped backwards, gesturing to the seat beside where she stood.

"Tell me." He said, sitting on the 'bed' he'd been given.

Natasha stood silent for a moment, before making her decision.

"Before I worked for S.H.I.E.L.D. I, uh, well, I made a name for myself," She said, sitting down in the fold-up chair, resting her hands between her knees. "I have a very specific skill set. I didn't care who I used it for, or on. I got on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s radar in a bad way. Agent Barton and Agent Cosmos were sent to kill me. He convinced her to make a different call."

Loki had sat quietly through her tale, already knowing it well, but when she'd finished he looked up.

"And what will you do if I vow to spare him?" He questioned, curious as to what the woman would do. After all, Barton and Romanoff had no romantic attachment like Barton and Cosmos. They were simply partners, and friends.

"Not let you out."

"No, but I like this. Your world in the balance and you bargain for one man." Loki smiled, that creepy smile of his at her actions. He probably thought them selfish or inhumane that she was asking for Barton back instead of asking for him to leave the Earth be.

"Regimes fall every day. I tend not to weep over that. I'm Russian. Or I was."

"And what are you now?" Loki asked.

Natasha stood up once more.

"It's really not that complicated," She said, stepping forward and resuming her earlier stance; her feet shoulder's width apart and her arms crossed over her chest. "I got red in my ledger, I'd like to wipe it out."