The Battle of New York

Chapter Six

Hawkeye, Mother Nature and Black Widow walked behind Captain America as they walked towards one of the few Quinjets that survived Hulk's rampage. As they entered it, a technician stood and said words that forced a chuckle out of Mother Nature's mouth.

"You guys aren't authorised to be in here."

"Son, just don't." Cap warned, as Mother Nature stepped forward and ushered him out. Even if someone thought they could argue with Captain America, there was no arguing with a founder of SHIELD. A fact Alex often used to her advantage against the higher-ups.

The Hawk quickly situated himself in the pilot seat, with Widow as his co-pilot while Cap and Mother Nature paced around in the back.

They took off after safety checks, following behind Iron Man as he zoomed towards Manhattan faster than they could. Tony would try and stop the portal from being opened, and if he couldn't, then he'd hold of the Chitauri until the rest of the team arrived as back-up.

Alex spent the brief journey to Manhattan letting ivy grow over her palm, watching the little green vines twisting around her fingers. Even after thousands of years, it still fascinated her how she was able to both create life with earth and destroy it with fire. She was a contradiction, but the Olympian didn't really find it in her to care.

"He couldn't stop the Cube. The portal is open." Natasha breathed, as she looked up at the blue beam that tore a hole into the sky, and let aliens that would stop at nothing to destroy anything in sight.

"Well that's not good." Alex said.

"Stark, we're on your three, headed northeast." Natasha informed him, as Clint continue to fly towards the city.

"What? Did you stop for drive-through?" Stark snapped back at her, heard by all through their ear pieces.

"Drive-through is the post save-the-world plan." Alex retorted, knowing that Clint always got the 'munchies' post-mission after the adrenaline crashed and the weariness kicked in.

"Swing up Park. I'm going to lay them out for you." Tony instructed. Clint did so, and Natasha readied the jet's gun, and began firing at the aliens that were on Iron Man's tail.

Clint pulled the Quinjet up to Stark Tower, and spotted Loki and Thor battling it out on Stark's balcony.

"Nat?"

"I see him." She informed him, and started firing at the god wearing the silliest war helm that Alex had ever seen, but Loki fired back, and hit one of the wings, sending the Quinjet on a spiral down. Clint swerved buildings and people as he tried to find a relatively empty spot to do an emergency landing. The jet landed with a thud, and skidded forward a couple of yards before stopping, and everyone quickly bailed out.

"We got to get back up there." Cap said, and they all began running back towards Stark Tower.

"I should offer Stark some assistance. He's outnumbered and I'm the only one who can fly." Alex asked, as she jogged beside her archer. Her archer. That thought would have brought a smile to her face had they not been all but marching into a war that they possibly could not win.

"Go. We'll meet up later." Steve ordered, not looking back at her.

She nodded, though he couldn't see her, and launched herself onto the bonnet of an abandoned car, using it as a place to kick-off from, before she went zooming up into the air.

"Stark? What's your location? I have an itch that only killing a few murderous aliens will scratch." Alex questioned, speaking into her ear piece, her eyes scanning all over for any sign of the man in the red and gold titanium alloy suit. Iron Man was a cute moniker, but scientifically inaccurate.