Chapter 4: Frye (Part II)

203 A.B.

(6 years before the Runner's Rebellion)

I am high above the marketplace, crouched low on the roof of an apartment building. Below me, Intacts and Fragments mill about between the stalls, selecting their goods for the week and haggling with the vendors.

A bright, red head bobs amongst the crowd, slipping fluidly between bodies, seemingly unnoticed by the horde. I keep my eyes peeled for anyone who may be taking notice, taking advantage of my vantage point and studying the scene with a practiced eye.

Kay's target is lingering by a glassblower's stall. He wanders aimlessly, picking up an item here and there, chatting amiably with the glass merchant and laughing uproariously at something the blower says. Kay takes her time in sidling up to him, lingering several steps behind for a few moments, sizing him up and taking note of where he stores his purse, just like we rehearsed.

I watch the merchant, the mark and the crowd around them, plotting my route down to the ground in case I need to step in and cause a distraction. When Kay finally strikes it is so quick that I nearly miss it. One moment she is brushing by the customer, and in the next she has disappeared back into the throng. I watch her for a few seconds longer, ensuring that no one has noticed her before moving to the side of the building and clambering down into the alley below.

Kay appears around the corner, a wide smile stretched across her pointed features. She tosses the purse over to me and I catch it deftly, grinning at the sound of tinkling coins.

"Were you watching?" She asks, fairly hopping from foot to foot.

"Of course, I was." I tell her, shaking my head at her display of childish energy. "You did great."

A shadow falls across us as Edmun enters the alley. He holds out his hand expectantly and I return the purse to him.

"Edmun, did you notice me at all?" Kay asks.

Edmun counts out the coins in the worn leather purse, casting me a suspicious look. I shove him back and he laughs, stuffing the purse into the pocket of his vest.

"No, I didn't notice you, you little thief." Edmun ruffles Kay's hair fondly and her grin widens. "Even though I knew you were coming, I never felt a thing."

"See, Frye?" Kay nudges me with the toe of her boot. "I'm ready."

I glance back and forth between my sister and my best friend. It's difficult to argue with her; a week of practice has yielded some pretty promising results. Kay has proven herself a quick study, and my climbing skills have markedly improved. By keeping a constant, eagle-eyed view on her actions, I am fairly confidant that if anything were to go wrong, I could swoop in and get her out.

My gut twists ominously. Kay is a willing participant in this half-cocked scheme, but I can't help the lingering warning of guilt I feel at introducing my little sister to a life of crime. What would Dad say if he knew what we were up to?

These days, it's difficult to imagine Dad having much of anything to say about Kay and my activities. Between the double shifts he's picked up at the quarry and Ma's worsening health, he hasn't had the time nor energy to monitor us, except to ensure that I am keeping my job at the dye factory. As far as he is concerned, his kids have managed to stay out of trouble for an entire week. A new record.

"Can we try it for real?" Kay asks, breaking through my thoughts. "I can do it."

I release a breath of air between my teeth and push a hand through my unruly hair. "I don't know, sis. Maybe we should practice on Edmun, one more time."