Chapter 19: The deserters

Her name was on the list again.

The same list.Perimeter guard duty, patrolling outside the fence. Her fears about running away aside, Louise knew that she wouldn't be able to face it again. Not again. Not when last time was such close call, she could have been killed. And she sure as hell wasn't going to die here, wasn't going to become just another name engraved on the wall of the dead. She had to find Oscar, to make sure that he was safe.

So it was decided. With or without Alfie, she was leaving here.

Alfie. She hadn't spoken to him since their fight the day before, and she couldn't bring herself to apologise, even though she felt guilty. She couldn't see why he was being so goddamn stubborn about this, but if he wanted to stay here and die then that was his choice. At least, that's what she tried to tell herself.

But she couldn't pretend that she didn't care about him, and that leaving without telling him wouldn't feel like a betrayal. She had only a few hours before sunrise, when she would be called for duty, so her plan was made hastily and without great care for detail. And she made a brief stop outside Alfie's quarters, and tacked a note to his door. Time to make amends, or try to, not that a note would do much good to heal things. She knew exactly how much her leaving would hurt him.

Alfie

You know where I've gone. I'm sorry that I had to leave you like this, without saying goodbye, but it is for the best. I know you don't agree with what I am doing, but please don't hate me for it. Please stay alive, and when you get out of here eventually come find me. Don't die before I see you again. That's an order.

I'll miss you.

x Your Raven

She glanced inside the room that Alfie shared with a few others. She could see him, asleep, and was tempted to wake him up, if only so she could say goodbye properly. But he would try to stop her.

She turned and left without another backward glance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the early hours of the morning, as the sun was only just beginning to show above the treetops, Oscar woke from his strange dream. As unsettled as he felt,he knew he would not be able to fall asleep again, so instead he got up and started to prepare some breakfast for everyone. He needed something to keep him occupied, to keep his thoughts away from Silas.

"You're up early," remarked a voice. He turned, and it was the Malachi girl, Essie,walking back to where he stood next to the smouldering remnants of last night's fire.

"So are you. Where did you go?"

"Just making sure we weren't being followed down here. Looks like no one's onto our trail yet, but there are some tracks that are still too close for comfort. Here, let me help you with that." She offered her hand to help with breakfast, and soon enough they were cooking together.

"So, Ahmed tells me you're his apprentice swordsman." Essie glanced at Oscar with araised eyebrow. "That true?"

Oscar frowned. "I don't know if I'd call myself that, exactly, but he is training me. Although, with everything that happened it didn't exactly leave much time for lessons." He gestured to the sword athis hip. "I'm still pretty useless with this thing."

She looked over at Dare, who was still sleeping like the dead by the fire. "And your friend?"

"A shielder. I was too, and so are the other two. Where we grew up, shielder training is mandatory, even if you don't end up being enlisted. And Dare, he was always one of those kids who idolised that life. He used to spar with his older brother, before he got sent away and...well, anyway, suffice to say he doesn't think that way anymore. At least, I hope not."