Chapter 8: New orders

"Commander!"

Chase turned around at the sound of someone calling out to him. He had only just been given permission to leave the bay for the wounded, and even now he still walked with a limp. His leg was healing though, rather rapidly too. All day, he had friends and superiors alike expressing how grateful they were to see that he was alive, after what they'd heard. It was growing tiresome.

"Commander!"

He saw the origin of the call, a young girl running towards him. Mila. He hadn't seen her since the day he was injured, as no one but his cousin had been allowed to visit him. He had worried about her after she had left that day, and was relieved to hear that she was safe when he got back. It was good to see her again. She pulled up in front of him, a little out of breath from running after him. He smiled.

"Commander Mila. Heard you got promoted."

She flashed him a grin. "Heard you managed to cheat death."

He laughed. "Both true, then. How are you?"

Her smile faded. "I'm fine, sir. But about what happened out in the field, I –"

He held up a hand to cut her off. "Please, Mila. We're equal rank now, no need to bother with this sir nonsense anymore. Never liked the title anyway."

She nodded in concession. "Well then...Chase... I just wanted to say how sorry I am. For the other day, for running away and leaving you there. I deserted you, I should have known better. If I had thought that there was a chance that you might survive...Wait no, that didn't come out right. I meant that I should have stayed anyway, regardless of whether I thought we would live or die. It was my duty, and I failed you, sir. I mean Chase." She hung her head. "I will accept if you want to have me court-marshalled for desertion."

"Mila, did I or did I not order you to leave me?"

"You did."

"And is it or is it not a soldier's duty to follow orders?"

"It is."

"Then please explain to me how what you did was wrong, Mila."

She grasped for a fault in his logic but couldn't find one, so she resigned to stay silent. She still didn't believe him, but she saw no point in arguing with him further. She knew how good he was at arguing after serving as his second for six months.

"Walk with me."

Used to taking his suggestions as direct orders, she followed. "Where to, sir?"

"Enough of the 'sir' already. And walk with me to lunch. I'm starving."

"But it's only 8 o'clock in the morning, sir. Lunch won't be served for a few hours yet."

Chase swore. "Damnit. No one told me the time when I came out of the medic bay." He saw Mila wince a little at that, because she still blamed herself a little for his injuries being so severe. "No matter."

Her eyes lit up with sudden remembrance. "Oh, I almost forgot! I was told to deliver this to you right away. Straight from the higher ups, apparently." She reached into her pocket and produced an envelope, stamped with the official seal of the Swordsmen army, two crossed swords behind a fleur de lys. Chase took it from her hands, and frowned. He wasn't supposed to be receiving any official orders until he was given the medical all clear, so why this letter. Unless...

He opened it and pulled out the letter inside. It was very official-looking, with perfect penmanship. However, it was not the letter itself that caught his immediate attention. It was something scrawled on the inside of the envelope, in tiny, unobtrusive script.