Chapter 10: A welcome at the gate

Chase was sick of the constant bumping and rolling of the wagon, so he was relieved when they arrived at their destination. His back was sore from the uncomfortable wooden seats that he had been subjected to for the entire journey, which was a whole week long. Chase was a soldier, and therefore used to making the best out of not-so-comfortable circumstances, but even so he couldn't wait to get inside.

Beside him, Essie was stretching out her stiff limbs and yawning. She was the perfect picture of calm, but on the inside he knew that she would be nervous.She was always nervous before a mission, and this one was by far the most difficult she had ever been assigned. Her anxiety was completely understandable, Chase only had a few years more experience than she did.

He looked up at the huge gate that barred their entrance to the forges. It was huge and looming, made of twisted black metal and rusting with age. No wonder this place had such a reputation. Not only were the forges nearly impossible to find, they were terrifying to lay your eye's upon. The gates were rumoured to be the only way in, and the only way out. It's never a good idea to put too much faith in rumours though. Chase had been told that there was a secret back entrance, if you knew where you were going. It was even harder to find than the forges themselves.

"Well, I guess I'll be off then." Their wagon driver, Lex, lifted his hand in farewell. He was a spritely old man, with receding grey hair and a trustworthy face. Chase had known him since he first joined the Swordsman Army, all those years ago. The old man may have looked grandfatherly, but he was a cunning old bastard with a surprising sense of humour. Chase was very fond of the old man.

He lifted a hand in farewell to Lex. "Goodbye, my friend. Good luck for the return journey, and I will see you again when our paths cross."

The old man chuckled. "Whenever that may be. Take care." And then he was off,cracking the whip the move his horses down the road, the clatter of their hooves growing quieter and quieter. Essie shivered. The air was cold and the wind howled at the base of the mountain.

All of a sudden the huge gates began to groan and creak, and began to move. They opened slowly and achingly, as if they had not been opened for a long, longtime. They opened to reveal a tunnel that led into the heart of the mountain, illuminated by torches. And they also revealed the sound of footsteps, and a figure walking towards them. Their guide.

Chase's hand rested gently on the hilt of his sword. This place did not feel right.

Their guide approached, and he was not at all what they had expected. They were expecting someone softer, friendlier, a crafter of weaponry, not a soldier. This was not a battleground, after all. This place was underno threat of attack. So why then, did their guide look as if he was prepared to stab them should they step wrong? Chase stared into the man's unflinching grey eyes and saw the scar across his right, and was wary of him. After a few seconds of sizing him up, the man inclined his head to the two of them. Not an indication of subordination, only politeness.

"Welcome," saidtheir guide. "My name is Mayard. I have been instructed to escortyou inside and show you to your quarters. We have much to discuss,but you must be weary from your journey, so it can wait." His voicewas welcoming, but his eyes were not.

Chase held out a hand for Mayard to shake, a gesture of goodwill. He would not let Mayard glimpse his distrust. Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. Mayard took his hand with a firm grip.

"Captain Chase Renguard, at your service." He slightly stressed the word captain,to remind Mayard of his rank. "And this is my second, Lieutenant Essendra Renguard." He gestured to Essie, who had thus far been silent. She nodded politely, a rare show of self-control.