The Diamond Eye: A Sam Stone Story Pt. 2

"Two thousand years ago while Jesus walked the earth, an arch-angel was sent to guard the whole of humanity from the forces of darkness that surrounded this world. This very angel stood near the tomb of Jesus on the day he arose from the dead and has remained on earth since.

It is said that when Jesus left the earth to sit at the right hand of God the Father, he was to return with him to usher the Christ into heaven but ..."

"But what?"

"After the angel wrestled with Jesus about whether to return to heaven, he had decided against his wishes to remain. In those times, when salvation was knew - the angel felt that someone needed to remain to help the newly resurrected in Christ. Those who were knew to the kingdom of God were vulnerable to the devil's advances. So - against the Lord God's will - he remained. This was seen as somewhat of a form of disrespect, for had the angel just did as he was told there would not have been a problem. But since he did not and turned his back on God, God in turn turned the angel to stone....a statue where he could remain on earth to guard humanity until he is to awaken for Armageddon."

"He turned him to stone...he wouldn't do that!"

"Ms. Stone, if the Almighty would turn Lot's wife into a pillar of salt for turning back, why wouldn't he do this?"

"Armageddon?"

"The end Sam, the end. When God comes to wrap this big ball of sin up and take his elect to Heaven."

"How do you know?"

"I was an orphan at St. Christopher's Children's Home, the Bible was part of the diet. Speaking of which - there is nothing in the Bible about an angel turning to stone."

"All lore mister..."

"Oh you can call me Tony."

"Mr. Thompson... he is Mr. Thompson."

"Oh, I see."

"Things of this nature seem to have fantastical tales surrounding them. You should visit the museum some time. You'll hear a story of what happened in history and later what really happened with the people and objects in our care."

"I just may take you up on that."

"If you two are done flirting with each other - I need to know, what does all of this have to do with you?"

"Only two people have ever laid eyes on the statue in this lifetime. My father, Baron Miravinchi and his colleague Professor Edwin Sheppard, top curator of London's Historical Society.

"Fine so go to your father and get the statue, why come to us?"

"My father and his colleague are missing, Ms. Stone. They were last seen in London curating artifacts from a dig in Morocco. They checked into this hotel..."

"This a key from The Red Marigold Hotel?"

"Yes."

Sam walked a circle around the seated woman as if interrogating her, something was off...she didn't like her and she had no trouble with showing it.

"So why not go yourself? You have his room key and his location."

"But wait - how did you come to have his room key Countess?"

"It was mailed to me from his hotel with no note."

"That's odd."

"I've been trying to contact him but it seems he is beyond my methods."