awkward

Derek frowned deeply as he opened the door to find... a blind boy standing there. Not Peter. A skinny defenseless blind boy. Blinking at him and talking a mile a minute.

This boy could talk. Did he ever take a breath? What did he say. Hes the tenant that lives below this loft. Shit. Scowling deeper. He was coming up here to complain about the noise.

Derek took in his appearance and was still confused as to how he was supposed to react to this.

He was antisocial with regular people. How was he supposed to interact with a blind man. He was tall. Not as tall as himself but almost. Lean. Sure footed from what he could see.

His skin was pale and dotted with moles. His lips were just a tad too red to seem decent. It made his mouth look sensuous without even trying. Derek frowned at the sight of the boys upturned nose. It made him look impish. His hair was brunette and looked soft. But to be honest Derek could not look away from the boys eyes.

Silver. They were silver. Slightly cloudy. They were... captivating. Annoyingly so. He kept getting distracted from what the boy was saying.

Then he looked down realizing that the boy had his hand out. As if to shake. Derek hated shaking peoples hands. Glaring at the offending apendage as if he could scare the boy with his glare. He couldn't see it. But he could hear the tense silence. Maybe if Derek was rude then the boy would leave and not come back. Derek didn't need the distraction.

"You shouldn't be up here." He said with almost a growl.

He saw a flicker of fear cross the boys features and he felt like the worst scum of the earth for frightening a defenseless blind boy. "I'm renovating so there are tools everywhere. So watch your step."

He saw those long thick lashes flutter and his lips schooled into what looked like a cocky grin. "Well I cant really watch my steps anymore. But thanks for the warning. It would really be to bad if the Sheriffs blind kid were to fall after tripping over some guys tool." There was that impish little smirk again. "I mean how big are we talking here?" The boy actually winked at him. With those silver unseeing eyes. Winked!

Glouring at the boy Derek was not going to play this boys game. "I'm busy." He deadpanned.

Derek watched the boys eyes wince ever so slightly. "Yes I could hear that. I thought maybe you could just... take a break for a bit. I bet you could use a little peace and quiet. Maybe some food?"

"How old are you kid?" Derek asked suspiciously.

The boys face flushed and it was so surprising to see splotches of red bloom over that pale skin that Derek almost lost his frown for a second.

"I am 21 thank you very much. How else would I be able to rent a apartment here." Stiles said puffing up a bit. "And Im not asking you out on a blind date Mr Grouchy. Im trying to ask you to keep the noise level under mach ten."

Did this boy-guy just call him Mr Grouchy? "I need to get this done today." Derek deadpans.

Stiles reaches a hand up as he closes his eyes and rubs his temple then the bridge of his nose. Derek felt bad he could practically see his pain. "Listen... I don't like to pull this card. But here it is. Please. Will you keep it down for a little while. I have a massive migraine from all the nonstop noise from up here for the past three days. Come on help the blind guy out."

Derek narrowed his eyes at the boy as he talked and waived his hand in front of the boys face to make sure he was really blind.

Seeing no reaction except for a slight wrinkle in that little upturned nose he growled and rolled his eyes.

"So do I take that frustrated growl as a yes? You will take pity on me and chill with the elephants on parade up here?" he looked hopeful as he kept giving little verbal digs. "Cause that would be great."

"Why don't you just put plugs in your ears?" Derek growled out not liking the fact that he is still somehow talking to this confusing annoying guy.

A look of actual offense flushes over Stiles face and his eyes turn hard and cold as he zeroed in on Derek. Almost as if he could see him. But it was slightly off. "So you want me to plug my ears... so that Ill be unable to use the one sense I rely on the most now? You want me to make myself deaf as well as blind so you can stomp and hammer and curse and growl up here to your hearts content?" Derek saw the way the boys hands gripped his walking stick.

Derek felt shame cause his own cheeks to flush red and hot. He was thankful no one could see it. He clenched his jaw and then he spoke less gruf. "I... didn't mean it like that."

Stiles eyes and face looked away from him. He took a deep breath and gripped his stick tighter.

Derek decided and then sighed. "I'll keep it down."

Relief shone on Stiles face. He nodded and then turned to head back towards his floor using the wall as a guide to the stairs.

"And don't use the lift. It is getting fixed later this week." Derek said standing in his open doorway. He didn't want the boy to fall down the elevator shaft or anything.

"I havent used the elevator here since the first time I got stuck in it for 7 hours, Dude. " Stiles was already walking down the stairs slowly.

"Don't call me dude." Derek growled before he slid the door shut.