My father’s natural care-free attitude was currently out the door, as I saw the distraught look on his face, his eyes filling with sorrow. “Your sister, she should be here. But she’s still not home.”

“She’ll be okay, Dad, she’s an adult now.” I gently placed my hand on his shoulder, holding him in his spot. Vanessa had been smothered her whole life just because she had held such a close resemblance with our mother. If I could just give her one night of freedom with Shane without my mate drama completely ruining it, I would. I was obligated to protect this family.

He took a deep breath then sighed, “Alright.”

“Now what’s going on?” I pulled my hand back to grab a wooden spoon hanging from one of the utensil racks sitting on the counter, before stirring the sloppy mess.

“I know this is last minute but there’s a pack meeting today, and,” He paused looking away from me and back to Dakota – who was currently biting away at his nails. “I think it’s time you tell him the truth.”

“What – I”, my words died in my throat as I became anxious. My throat started to tighten, my palms became clammy, and my eyes kept darting towards my baby. He was my everything. Period. With our mythical bloodlines, destined soul mates and natural family bonds, Dakota was my last piece of humanity I had left. “I can’t do that.”

My father’s hand slapped against the countertop, causing me to jump at the sound. “Dammit Harper, I made excuses for you when Ryan died, but enough is enough.” His shoulders went slack as he sighed, “You’re my daughter and I love you, but this time I have to go over your head. If you don’t tell him what he is, I will.”

I bit my lip at his command, trying to figure out a reason to keep Dakota in the dark. I knew my father was right, but Dakota wasn’t even four and a half yet. However, his cognitive process had been tested to be the equivalent of a child twice his age. His kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Schumer, had even recommended Dakota move up to the first grade. Even now, he was being given third grade level work without him even realizing it. And I had planned to keep it that way.

“Alpha Foster requested Dakota’s presence at the pack meeting today.”

My head snapped up at is words, my eyes finally focusing on my father’s face. “Did he say why?”

My father frowned, the laugh lines tracing along his lips looking more prominent and revealing how much he had aged in the last few years. “I think you know exactly why.”

“Okay.” I murmured, surprising us both.

“What?”

“Adam, I said it was okay. I’ll tell him.” My voice was hoarse as I used my father’s first name in the form of a promise.

My father’s only response was a nod of his head as he grabbed the giant bowl from the counter. He walked over to the stove to start with the pancakes, giving me the privacy I needed to talk to my son.

“Dakota, baby?” I whispered, feeling overly sentimental as my eyes started to water a bit.

Dakota turned around in his chair to look up at me with his giant grey eyes. “What’s wrong, Momma?”

I practically ran over to him, crushing his head into my abdomen as I hugged him for all he was worth. I let the tears from Ryan, Chris, Vanessa, and my son all flow freely onto my face. I scolded myself for being weak and involving Dakota into my emotional instability but I couldn’t help it.

“Koda, were gonna go outside while Grandpa finishes making breakfast, okay?”

He simply nodded, his brown hair falling into his eyes. I made a mental note to bring him to the hair dressers after all this insanity had pasted. He skipped to catch up with me as I picked up my pace to the glass doors, into our reasonably sized backyard.